brian Society held at Cardiff and Bridgend, and in 1871 was president of a section of the Royal Archæological Institute. In 1862 he accompanied Montalembert on a tour in Scotland, and five years later travelled in France and Italy, with the view of making a special study of campaniles. But Irish archæology mainly occupied him. He is said to have visited every barony in Ireland, and nearly every island off the coast. He was usually attended by a photographer, and Dr. William Stokes [q. v.] and Miss Margaret Stokes were often in his company.
The chief results of his labours, which were designed as a continuation of those of Petrie, his intimate friend, were embodied in ‘Notes on Irish Architecture,’ two sumptuous folios published after his death, under the editorship of Margaret Stokes, with a preface by the fourth Earl of Dunraven, and notes by Petrie and Reeves. The work was illustrated by 161 wood engravings, from drawings by G. Petrie, W. F. Wakeman, Gordon Hills, Margaret Stokes, Lord Dunraven, and others, besides 125 fine plates. The first part dealt with stone buildings with and without cement, and the second part with belfries and Irish Romanesque.
In 1865 Dunraven compiled, as an appendix to his mother's ‘Memorials of Adare,’ a minute and exhaustive treatise on architectural remains in the neighbourhood of Adare. Part of this, treating of the round tower and church of Dysart, was reprinted in vol. ii. of the ‘Notes.’ Many of these half-ruined buildings were, by Dunraven's munificence, made available for religious purposes. He also contributed some valuable papers to the Royal Irish Academy. He was elected F.R.A.S. in 1831, F.S.A. in 1836, F.R.G.S. in 1837, and on 10 April 1834 became F.R.S. Montalembert dedicated to him a volume of his ‘Monks of the West.’ Dunraven died at the Imperial Hotel, Great Malvern, on 6 Oct. 1871, and was buried at Adare on the 14th inst. He was a man of quick perceptions and great power of application, a zealous Roman catholic, and a highly popular landlord.
He was twice married, first, on 18 Aug. 1836, to Augusta, third daughter of Thomas Goold, master in chancery in Ireland; and, secondly, 27 Jan. 1870, to Anne, daughter of Henry Lambert, esq., of Carnagh, Wexford, who, after his death, married the second Lord Hylton. A portrait of his first wife, who died 22 Nov. 1866, was painted by Hayter, and engraved by Holl. Her son, the fourth earl, under-secretary for the colonies in 1885–6 and again in 1886–7, proved an active Irish politician and yachtsman. There are at Adare Manor portraits of the first Earl of Dunraven by Batoni, and of the third earl and countess by T. Philipps, as well as busts of the first and second earls.
[Preface by fourth Earl of Dunraven to Notes on Irish Architecture, 1875–7; Memorials of Adare Manor, by Caroline, wife of the second earl, privately printed, 1865; G. E. C.'s Peerage; Foster's Alumni Oxon. and Cat. Dubl. Grad.; Times, 10 Oct. 1871, Illustr. London News 21 Oct., and Limerick Reporter, 10 Oct.; Webb's Compend. Irish Biogr.; Boase's Modern Engl. Biogr.]
QUIN, FREDERIC HERVEY FOSTER (1799–1878), the first homœopathic physician in England, was born in London on 12 Feb. 1799, and passed his early years at a school at Putney, kept by a son of Mrs. Sarah Trimmer [q. v.], the authoress. In 1817 he was sent to Edinburgh University, where he graduated M.D. on 1 Aug. 1820. In December 1820 he went to Rome as travelling physician to Elizabeth, duchess of Devonshire. He afterwards attended her in that city during her fatal illness in March 1824. On his return to London he was appointed physician to Napoleon I at St. Helena, but the emperor died (on 5 May 1821) before he left England. In July 1821 he commenced practice at Naples, and his social gifts made him popular with all the English residents there, who included Sir William Gell, Sir William Drummond, and the Countess of Blessington. At Naples, too, Quin met Dr. Neckar, a disciple of Hahnemann, the founder of homœopathy, and was favourably impressed by what he learned of the homœopathic system of medicine. After visiting Leipzig in 1826, in order to study its working, Quin returned to Naples a convert. On the journey he was introduced at Rome to Prince Leopold of Saxe-Coburg, afterwards king of the Belgians, and soon left Naples to become his family physician in England. Until May 1829 he continued a member of the prince's household either at Marlborough House, London, or Claremont, Surrey, and extended his acquaintance in aristocratic circles. From May 1829 to September 1831 he practised in Paris, chiefly, but not entirely, on the principles of Hahnemann. In September 1831, after consulting with Hahnemann as to the treatment of cholera, he proceeded to Tischnowitz in Moravia, where the disease was raging. He was himself attacked, but soon recommenced work, and remained until the cholera disappeared. His treatment consisted in giving camphor in the first stage, and ipecacuanha and arsenic subsequently.
At length, in July 1832, he settled in London at 19 King Street, St. James's, re-