an edition of Littleton's ‘Tenures.’ Pynson, in his edition of that year, warns his readers against it on account of its careless printing, and speaks of its printer as ‘Redman, sed verius Rudeman, quia inter mille homines rudiorem haud facile invenies.’ The cause of this jealousy is clear, for not only had Redman started as a printer of law books, in which Pynson had had for some time practically a monopoly, but he had established himself in Pynson's old premises in St. Clement's parish, and used the same sign, the George. On Pynson's death, Redman seems to have taken over his printing offices in Fleet Street, as well as his materials, and in 1530 began to use his device. For the next ten years he was steadily at work, for the most part printing law books. In 1540 an edition of Cicero's ‘Paradoxa’ in English was printed for Robert by John Redman at Southwark. In the same year he died, and his will was proved on 4 Nov. His wife, Elizabeth Pickeryng, was left sole executrix, and continued the business for a short time on her own account, after which she is stated to have married a certain Ralph Cholmonly.
[Ames's Typogr. Antiq. ed. Herbert, i. 385–405; Timperley's Typogr. Encycl.; Gent. Mag. 1859, ii. 345.]
REDMAN, WILLIAM (d. 1602), bishop of Norwich, only son of John Redman of Great Shelford, Cambridgeshire, gent., and Margaret his wife, entered at Trinity College, Cambridge, in 1558, was elected scholar, and in due course fellow of his college. He graduated B.A. in 1563, and commenced M.A. in 1566, and proceeded B.D. in 1573, being then one of the senior fellows of Trinity. In July 1571 he became rector of Ovington in Essex, in the presentation of Anne, dowager lady Maltravers. In the following March he became rector of Toppesfield, and resigned Ovington (Newcourt, Repertorium). In 1576 he was promoted to the archdeaconry of Canterbury. In 1578, being then D.D., he was presented to the rectory of Upper Hardres in Kent, and resigned Toppesfield. The last three pieces of preferment were bestowed upon him by the queen, probably at the suggestion of Archbishop Grindal, whose chaplain he was. He also held the living of Bishopsbourne, to which Richard Hooker [q. v.] succeeded on Redman's promotion to a bishopric. In 1584 and in 1586 he was prolocutor of the lower house of convocation. In 1589 he became canon of Canterbury, and finally was elected to the bishopric of Norwich (17 Dec. 1594), and consecrated on 10 Jan. following. He died at Norwich on 25 Sept. 1602, at which time Chamberlain, writing to Sir Dudley Carleton, describes him as ‘one of the wisest of his coat’ (Cal. State Papers, Dom. 1601–3, p. 249); by this he probably meant that the bishop had a great gift for absorbing preferment, holding his tongue and making no mistakes. Redman married Isabel Calverley, who survived him till 1613. Four sons and two daughters are mentioned as the fruit of this union. Archbishop Grindal appointed him one of his executors, and left him a riding horse. He himself bequeathed one hundred marks towards the wainscoting of the library of Trinity College, Cambridge.
[Cooper's Athenæ Cantabr. and the authorities quoted there.]
REDMOND, THOMAS (1745?–1785), miniature-painter, was the son of a clergyman at Brecon, and was apprenticed to a house-painter at Bristol. He came to London and studied for a short time at the St. Martin's Lane academy. He resided, 1762–1766, in Soho, but afterwards settled at Bath, where he continued to practise with success as a miniature-painter till his death in 1785. In 1762 he began to exhibit at the gallery of the Society of Arts, and contributed six portraits in all to that exhibition, thirteen to that of the Free Society, and eleven to the Royal Academy.
[Redgrave's Dict. of Artists; Graves's Dict. of Artists.]
REDPATH, PETER (1821–1894), Canadian merchant and philanthropist, son of John Redpath, was born at Montreal on 1 Aug. 1821. His family was of Scottish lineage, and settled in Canada at the beginning of the century. He was educated at St. Paul's school, Montreal, and then sent to be trained in Manchester for business. Returning to Montreal, he entered first the firm of Dougall, Redpath, & Co., and later his father's sugar-refinery. When the firm of John Redpath & Son was turned into a company, Redpath found a wider sphere for his energies. He became in 1866 a director of the Bank of Montreal, and soon afterwards of the Montreal Rolling Mills, Montreal Telegraph Co., several mining companies, and the Intercolonial Coal Company; he thus identified himself with the encouragement of most Canadian industries, but took special interest in the development of the North-West territories with particular reference to their coal supply. In 1879 he resigned most of his directorates and settled in England, making frequent visits to Canada. In 1882 he still further limited his connection with busi-