Smith,’ 1882; ‘Willoughby Captains,’ 1883; ‘Follow my Leader,’ 1885; ‘Reginald Cruden,’ 1885; ‘A Dog with a Bad Name,’ 1886; ‘The Master of the Shell,’ 1887; ‘Sir Ludar, a Story of the Days of the Great Queen Bess,’ 1889; ‘Roger Ingleton Minor,’ 1889; ‘The Cock-house of Fells-garth,’ 1891; ‘Dick, Tom, and Harry,’ 1892; and ‘Kilgorman,’ with a memoir of the author, by his friend, John Sime, 1894. He died at Highgate on 28 Nov. 1893. He married, on 15 June 1876, Elizabeth Jane, third daughter of Samuel MacGurdy Greer [q. v.], by whom he had issue two sons and two daughters (Stationers' Trade Journal, 21 Dec. 1893, p. 546; Graphic, 9 Dec. 1893, p. 710, with portrait; information from James Drummond, esq.).
[Memoir of Sir C. Reed, by his son, C. E. B. Reed, 1883, with portrait; Stevenson's Sir C. Reed, Chairman of the London School Board, 1884; O'Malley and Hardcastle's Report of Election Petitions, 1875, ii. 77–87; Daily News, 26 March 1881, p. 5; Illustr. London News, 1873 lxiii. 609–10, 1881 lxxviii. 329, with portrait; Graphic, 1874, ix. 146, 148; Biograph, 1880 iv. 288–92.]
REED, ISAAC (1742–1807), editor of Shakespeare, son of a baker, was born on 1 Jan. 1741–2, at Stewart Street, near the old Artillery Ground, London. His father, whose shop was in Fleet Street, was a man of intelligence and inspired his son with a love of reading (Notes and Queries, 7th ser. ii. 375–6). After being educated at a private school at Streatham, Reed became an articled clerk to Messrs. Perrot & Hodgson, a firm of London solicitors. On the expiry of his articles he assisted a Lincoln's Inn conveyancer named Hoskins, but at the end of a year set up for himself as a conveyancer in chambers at Gray's Inn, whence he soon removed to Staple's Inn. He secured a good practice, but had no enthusiasm for his profession.
From boyhood Reed studied literature and archæology, and through life devoted his leisure to literary research. He collected a large and valuable library in his rooms at Staple's Inn, and there welcomed many congenial fellow-workers, at whose disposal he freely placed his books and his personal knowledge. He sent notes to Dr. Johnson in 1781 when the latter was preparing his ‘Lives of the Poets.’ Boswell declared Reed's extensive and accurate knowledge of English literature and history to be ‘wonderful,’ while, Boswell added, all ‘who have the pleasure of his acquaintance can bear testimony to the frankness of his communications in private society’ (Boswell, Life of Johnson, ed. Hill, iv. 37). John Nichols, whom Reed often accompanied in walks about Enfield, owed much to his suggestions when preparing his collection of William King's works and supplement to Swift's works in 1776, his ‘Anecdotes of Bowyer’ in 1782, and his ‘History of Leicestershire’ in 1795 (cf. Nichols, Lit. Anecdotes, iii. 228–9). Reed corresponded with Horace Walpole and Bishop Percy, but his most intimate friends were Dr. Farmer, master of Emmanuel College, Cambridge, with whom he spent a month each autumn, and George Steevens, whose ill-temper he has the unique distinction of never having provoked. He also knew James Bindley [q. v.], the painters Romney and Hayley, Edmund Malone, J. P. Kemble, H. J. Todd, the editor of Milton, and Ralph Heathcote [q. v.], with whom he visited Holland in 1777. Most of these were members of the ‘Unincreasable Club’ meeting at the Queen's Head, Holborn, of which Reed was for many years president. He was also a frequent guest at the literary parties of the publisher Dilly, and was elected F.S.A. on Gough's recommendation on 12 June 1777.
Of singularly retiring disposition Reed wrote little. His vocation was mainly that of commentator or editor, and almost all his publications were issued anonymously. He would prefer, he wrote in 1778, to stand in the pillory rather than put his name to a book. In 1768 he collected the poetical works of Lady Mary Wortley Montagu; and in 1778 he printed a few copies of Middleton's ‘Witch’ for his friends, and edited the sixth volume of Dr. Young's ‘Works.’ In 1777 he edited ‘Historical Memoirs of Dr. William Dodd,’ which are sometimes attributed in error to John Duncombe [q. v.], and Dr. Dodd's ‘Thoughts in Prison.’ From 1773 to 1780 he contributed biographical articles to the ‘Westminster Magazine,’ and wrote in the ‘Gentleman's Magazine’ and in the ‘European Magazine.’ Of the latter he was for a time part proprietor; but he denied in 1800 that he took any part in the editing (Nichols, Lit. Illustrations, vii. 48).
Reed gradually concentrated his attention on the drama. In 1782 he published ‘Biographia Dramatica,’ a useful expansion of Baker's ‘Companion to the Playhouse.’ It was re-edited by Stephen Jones in 1812. A similar venture, ‘Notitia Dramatica,’ a chronicle of English theatrical history from November 1734 to 31 Dec. 1785, remains in manuscript at the British Museum (Add. MSS. 25390–2); it was mainly compiled from the ‘Public Advertiser,’ a file of which was lent to the compiler by Wood-