Royal Society, he communicated two papers to the Royal Society—one, in 1842, entitled ‘On the Chemical Analysis of the Contents of the Thoracic Duct in the Human Subject,’ and a second paper, in June 1847, ‘On the Function of the Red Corpuscles of the Blood, and on the Process of Arterialisation.’ He was elected a fellow of the society in 1843.
His published works include, besides those previously mentioned: 1. ‘On the Analysis of the Blood and Urine in Health and Disease,’ 1836; 2nd edit. 1845. 2. ‘Observations on the Diagnosis of Bright's Disease’ (‘Medical Gazette,’ 1845). 3. ‘On a Remarkable Case of Paraplegia’ (‘Medical Gazette,’ 1845). 4. Articles on ‘Lymph, Chyle, and Milk,’ in Todd and Bowman's ‘Cyclopædia of Anatomy and Physiology.’
[British Medical Journal, 1889; Lancet, 1889; Churchill's Medical Directory; Proceedings of the Royal Society of London; A Biographical History of Guy's Hospital, by Samuel Wilks, M.D., and G. T. Bettany, M.A.; Records of the University of Glasgow and of the Royal College of Physicians of London.]
REES, HENRY (1798–1869), Calvinistic methodist leader, eldest son of David Rees of Chwibren Isaf in the parish of Llansannan, Denbighshire, and Anne (Williams) of Cefn Fforest, was born on 15 Feb. 1798. William Rees (1802–1883) [q. v.] was his brother. His father, who moved in a short time to Rhyd Loew, and thence to Cae Du in the same district, was a lay officer of the Calvinistic methodist connection, and Henry showed at an early age a deep interest in religious work. In May 1816 he left home to take employment on a farm near Bettws Abergele, and while in this district, in the spring of 1819, began to preach. Resolving to devote himself to the Calvinistic methodist ministry, he came home to Cae Du in May, and then placed himself for two years under the tuition of Thomas Lloyd of Abergele. It was not the practice of the ministers of his connection at this time to depend wholly on the ministry for support, and accordingly, in 1821, he went to Shrewsbury to learn bookbinding. In the following year he was persuaded by his friends in that town to accept instead the charge of the Calvinistic methodist church there in return for his maintenance. He was ordained to the full work of the ministry at Bala on 13 June 1827, and on 20 Oct. 1830 married Mary Roberts of Shrewsbury (d. 1879). During his stay in Shrewsbury Rees rapidly won a position as one of the foremost preachers of his connection, and from this time until his death was almost always to be heard at the great preaching meetings of the North Wales Association. At the end of 1836 he accepted the superintendence of the Calvinistic methodist churches in Liverpool, where he spent the rest of his life. He died on 18 Feb. 1869 at Benarth, near Conway, his son-in-law's house, and was buried in Llan Dysilio churchyard, near Menai Bridge. He left one daughter, Anne, the wife of Mr. Richard Davies of Treborth, lord lieutenant of Anglesey.
Rees devoted himself to the two duties of preaching and connectional administration. After the death of John Elias [q. v.] in 1841 he was for a quarter of a century the recognised leader of the Calvinistic methodists of North Wales, and had the largest share in forming the policy of the northern association. As a preacher he had scarcely a rival in the denomination, his sermons being marked by careful preparation, closeness of texture, and purity of diction, coupled with great earnestness and force. He distrusted rhetorical effect. A selection of his sermons was published at Holywell, in three volumes (1872, 1875, 1881).
[Cofiant y Parch. Henry Rees, a memoir in two volumes, by Dr. Owen Thomas (Wrexham, 1890).]
REES, JOSIAH (1744–1804), Welsh presbyterian minister, born on 2 Oct. 1744 in the parish of Llanfair-ar-y-Bryn, near Llandovery, was son of Owen Rees (1717–1768), the first nonconformist minister in the parish of Aberdare, by Mary his wife, who lived to complete her hundredth year (see Monthly Repository, 1818, p. 142). After attending the grammar school at Swansea, he entered about 1762 the presbyterian college, Carmarthen, and became minister-elect of the church at Gellionen in 1764, but pursued his studies at the college for two years longer, supplying his pulpit meanwhile at stated intervals (ib. 1818, p. 142). Among his fellow students was his lifelong friend, the Rev. David Davis [q. v.], of Castle Howell (ib. 1827, p. 693). To his pastoral duties Rees added, until about 1785, those of a successful schoolmaster. He soon became known as a polished preacher, and published some scholarly sermons. His chapel was rebuilt and enlarged in 1801. In 1785 he declined the offer of the principalship of the presbyterian college then at Swansea, but gave a year's course there of divinity lectures. He died on 20 Sept. 1804. He was twice married, and by his second wife was father, among other sons, of Thomas Rees (1777–1864) [q. v.]