wrote numerous commentaries on the gospels, with indices, sixty-three sermons, a concordance to the works of Thomas Aquinas, on Aristotle's ‘De Cælo et Mundo,’ and a ‘Tabula Juris.’ Many of the ‘incipits’ are given by Bale and Tanner, but the works are not known to exist.
Other learned Carmelites educated at St. Faith's were Benedict of St. Faith's (fl. 1400), who left Norfolk for Italy, was patronised by Cardinal Henricus Minutulus, and is said to have died at Naples.
Peter of St. Faith's (d. 1452), prior of St. Faith's, of noble birth, studied at Cambridge, and became a master in theology. After Henry V's victory over France many Carmelites went to Paris, and Peter was made a doctor of the Sorbonne. On 13 Sept. 1428 he was present at a diocesan synod at Norwich, when William Whyte was charged with heresy (Fascic. Zizan. Rolls Ser. p. 417). In 1450 he was presented to the rectory of Taverham, Norfolk (Blomefield, Norfolk, xi. 473). He died at Norwich, 8 Nov. 1452. He wrote commentaries on St. Peter's Epistles, capitular sermons on Peter Lombard, and other works mentioned by Tanner but not known to be extant.
Robert of St. Faith's (d. 1386) was sent by Urban VI as papal nuncio to Spain and England. He wrote much against the schismatics, but the names of his works are lost. He died in Spain in 1386.
William of St. Faith's (d. 1372) left Norwich for Cambridge, where he became a doctor of divinity. He died in 1372, and was buried at St. Faith's. Bale (vi. 45) and Pits (p. 510) attribute to him numerous theological works, none of which are known to be extant.
[Bale's Scriptores; Tanner's Bibliotheca, s.v. ‘Sanctofidensis,’ Villiers de Sainte-Étienne's Bibliotheca Carmelitana.]
SAINT-GEORGE, Sir HENRY (1581–1644), Garter king-of-arms, eldest son of Sir Richard Saint-George [q. v.], born on 27 Jan. 1581, was created Rouge Rose pursuivant-extraordinary in May 1610; Bluemantle pursuivant-in-ordinary on 23 Dec. 1611; and Richmond herald on 22 March 1615–16. In 1624 he was one of the learned persons recommended by Edmund Bolton [q. v.] to be members of the projected Academy Royal or College and Senate of Honour. In 1625 he and William Le Neve, York herald, were sent to France by Charles I to conduct the princess Henrietta Maria to England. They performed this duty so much to the satisfaction of the court of France that Louis XIII gave them a thousand French crowns. In 1627 Saint-George was joined in a commission with Lord Spencer and Peter Young to present the insignia of the order of the Garter to Gustavus Adolphus, king of Sweden, who conferred upon Saint-George the honour of knighthood on 23 September (Metcalfe, Book of Knights, p. 188; Addit. MS. 32102, f. 200 b). He was created Norroy king-of-arms on 24 June 1635. At the commencement of the civil war he attended the royal standard and remained with the king at Oxford, where he was created a doctor of medicine 9 May 1643 (Wood, Fasti Oxon. ed. Bliss, ii. 67). He was advanced to the dignity of Garter king-of-arms in April 1644, in succession to Sir John Borough [q. v.] He died in Brasenose College on 5 Nov. 1644, and was buried in the cathedral of Christ Church, Oxford.
Saint-George drew up in 1628 a ‘Catalogue of the Nobility of England,’ manuscript folio. This is ‘involved’ in ‘A New Catalogue of the Dukes, Marquesses, Earls, Viscounts, Barons, &c.,’ published by Thomas Walkley, London, 1658, 8vo.
Of the heraldic visitations held by him the following have been printed: Cornwall (1620), edited by Lieut.-Col. J. L. Vivian and H. H. Drake, 1874; Somerset (1623), edited by F. T. Colby for the Harleian Society, 1876; London (1633–5), edited by J. J. Howard and J. L. Chester for the Harleian Society, 2 vols. 1880–83; Wiltshire (1623), edited by G. W. Marshall, Exeter, 1882, 8vo; and Dorset (1623), edited by J. P. Rylands for the Harleian Society, 1885.
Saint-George married, in 1614, Mary, daughter of Sir Thomas Dayrell, knight, of Lillingston Dayrell, Buckinghamshire. Among his children was Sir Thomas Saint-George (1615–1703), who became Somerset herald in July 1660, Norroy king-of-arms in January 1679–80, and Garter king-of-arms in February 1685–6, in succession to Dugdale; he left in manuscript a treatise on ‘Titles of Honour,’ printed in London, 1864. Another son, Sir Henry Saint-George the younger (1625–1715), became Richmond herald on 18 June 1660, Norroy king-of-arms on 27 April 1677, Clarenceux king-of-arms on 25 Jan. 1678–9, and Garter king-of-arms on 26 April 1703; and Richard Saint-George, who became Ulster king-of-arms.
[Anstis's Order of the Garter, i. 402; Foster's Alumni Oxon., 1500–1714, iv. 1300; Howard's Miscellanea Genealogica et Heraldica, new ser. iii. 79; Noble's College of Arms.]
ST. GEORGE, Sir JOHN (1812–1891), general, born on 18 Jan. 1812, was the eldest son of Lieutenant-colonel John St. George of