'Lo, I am come unto thee; have I now any power at all to speak any thing? the word that God putteth in my mouth, that shall I speak.' 39And Balaam went with Balak, and they came unto Kiriath-huzoth. 40And Balak sacrificed oxen and sheep, and sent to Balaam, and to the princes that were with him. 41And it came to pass in the morning that Balak took Balaam, and brought him up into Bamoth-baal, and he saw from thence the utmost part of the people.
23And Balaam said unto Balak: 'Build me here seven altars, and prepare me here seven bullocks and seven rams.' 2And Balak did as Balaam had spoken; and Balak and Balaam offered on every altar a bullock and a ram. 3And Balaam said unto Balak: 'Stand by thy burnt-offering, and I will go; peradventure the Lord will come to meet me; and whatsoever He showeth me I will tell thee.' And he went to a bare height. 4And God met Balaam; and he said unto Him: 'I have prepared the seven altars, and I have offered up a bullock and a ram on every altar.' 5And the Lord put a word in Balaam's mouth, and said: 'Return unto Balak, and thus thou shalt speak.' 6And he returned unto him, and, lo, he stood by his burnt-offering, he, and all the princes of Moab. 7And he took up his parable, and said:
- From Aram Balak bringeth me,
- The king of Moab from the mountains of the East:
- 'Come, curse me Jacob,
- And come, execrate Israel.'
- 8How shall I curse, whom God hath not cursed?
- And how shall I execrate, whom the Lord hath not execrated?
- 9For from the top of the rocks I see him,
- And from the hills I behold him:
- Lo, it is a people that shall dwell alone,
- And shall not be reckoned among the nations.
- 10Who hath counted the dust of Jacob,
- Or numbered the stock of Israel?
- Let me die the death of the righteous,
- And let mine end be like his!
11And Balak said unto Balaam: 'What hast thou done unto me? I took thee to curse mine enemies, and, behold, thou hast blessed them altogether.' 12And he answered and said: 'Must I not take heed to speak that which the Lord putteth in my mouth?' 13And Balak said unto him: 'Come, I pray thee, with me unto another place, from whence thou mayest see them; thou shalt see but the utmost part of them, and shalt not see them all; and curse me them from thence.' 14And he took him into the field of Zophim, to the top of Pisgah, and built seven altars, and offered up a bullock and a ram on every altar. 15And he said unto Balak: 'Stand here by thy burnt-offering, while I go toward a meeting yonder.' 16And the Lord met Balaam, and put a word in his mouth, and said: 'Return unto Balak, and thus shalt thou speak.' 17And he came to him, and, lo, he stood by his burnt-offering, and the princes of Moab with him. And Balak said unto him: 'What hath the Lord spoken?' 18And he took up his parable, and said:
- Arise, Balak, and hear;
- Give ear unto me, thou son of Zippor:
- 19God is not a man, that He should lie;
- Neither the son of man, that He should repent: