will I try the Lord.' 13And he said: 'Hear ye now, O house of David: Is it a small thing for you to weary men, that ye will weary my God also? 14Therefore the Lord Himself shall give you a sign: behold, the young woman shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel. 15Curd and honey shall he eat, when he knoweth to refuse the evil, and choose the good. 16Yea, before the child shall know to refuse the evil, and choose the good, the land whose two kings thou hast a horror of shall be forsaken. 17The Lord shall bring upon thee, and upon thy people, and upon thy father's house, days that have not come, from the day that Ephraim departed from Judah; even the king of Assyria.'
- 18And it shall come to pass in that day,
- That the Lord shall hiss for the fly
- That is in the uttermost part of the rivers of Egypt,
- And for the bee that is in the land of Assyria.
- 19And they shall come, and shall rest all of them
- In the rugged valleys, and in the holes of the rocks,
- And upon all thorns, and upon all brambles.
20In that day shall the Lord shave with a razor that is hired in the parts beyond the River, even with the king of Assyria, the head and the hair of the feet; and it shall also sweep away the beard.
21And it shall come to pass in that day, that a man shall rear a young cow, and two sheep; 22and it shall come to pass, for the abundance of milk that they shall give, he shall eat curd; for curd and honey shall every one eat that is left in the midst of the land.
23And it shall come to pass in that day, that every place, where there were a thousand vines at a thousand silverlings, shall even be for briers and thorns. 24With arrows and with bow shall one come thither; because all the land shall become briers and thorns. 25And all the hills that were digged with the mattock, thou shalt not come thither for fear of briers and thorns, but it shall be for the sending forth of oxen, and for the treading of sheep.
8And the Lord said unto me: 'Take thee a great tablet, and write upon it in common script: The spoil speedeth, the prey hasteth; 2and I will take unto Me faithful witnesses to record, Uriah the priest, and Zechariah the son of Jeberechiah.' 3And I went unto the prophetess; and she conceived, and bore a son. Then said the Lord unto me: 'Call his name Maher-shalal-hashbaz. 4For before the child shall have knowledge to cry: My father, and: My mother, the riches of Damascus and the spoil of Samaria shall be carried away before the king of Assyria.'
5And the Lord spoke unto me yet again, saying:
- 6Forasmuch as this people hath refused
- The waters of Shiloah that go softly,
- And rejoiceth with Rezin and Remaliah's son;
- 7Now therefore, behold, the Lord bringeth up upon them
- The waters of the River, mighty and many,
- Even the king of Assyria and all his glory;
- And he shall come up over all his channels,
- And go over all his banks;
- 8And he shall sweep through Judah
- Overflowing as he passeth through
- He shall reach even to the neck;
- That is, God is with us.
- That is, The spoil speedeth, the prey hasteth.