- And the stretching out of his wings
- Shall fill the breadth of thy land, O Immanuel.
- 9Make an uproar, O ye peoples, and ye shall be broken in pieces;
- And give ear, all ye of far countries;
- Gird yourselves, and ye shall be broken in pieces;
- Gird yourselves, and ye shall be broken in pieces.
- 10Take counsel together, and it shall be brought to nought;
- Speak the word, and it shall not stand;
- For God is with us.
11For the Lord spoke thus to me with a strong hand, admonishing me that I should not walk in the way of this people, saying: 12'Say ye not: A conspiracy, concerning all whereof this people do say: A conspiracy; neither fear ye their fear, nor account it dreadful. 13The Lord of hosts, Him shall ye sanctify; and let Him be your fear, and let Him be your dread. 14And He shall be for a sanctuary; but for a stone of stumbling and for a rock of offence to both the houses of Israel, for a gin and for a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem. 15And many among them shall stumble, and fall, and be broken, and be snared, and be taken.'
16'Bind up the testimony, seal the instruction among My disciples.' 17And I will wait for the Lord, that hideth His face from the house of Jacob, and I will look for Him. 18Behold, I and the children whom the Lord hath given me shall be for signs and for wonders in Israel from the Lord of hosts, who dwelleth in mount Zion. 19And when they shall say unto you: 'Seek unto the ghosts and the familiar spirits, that chirp and that mutter; should not a people seek unto their God? on behalf of the living unto the dead 20for instruction and for testimony?'—Surely they will speak according to this word, wherein there is no light.—21And they shall pass this way that are sore bestead and hungry; and it shall come to pass that, when they shall be hungry, they shall fret themselves, and curse by their king and by their God, and, whether they turn their faces upward, 22or look unto the earth, behold distress and darkness, the gloom of anguish, and outspread thick darkness. 23For is there no gloom to her that was stedfast? Now the former hath lightly afflicted the land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali, but the latter hath dealt a more grievous blow by the way of the sea, beyond the Jordan, in the district of the nations.
- 9The people that walked in darkness
- Have seen a great light;
- They that dwelt in the land of the shadow of death,
- Upon them hath the light shined.
- 2Thou hast multiplied the nation,
- Thou hast increased their joy;
- They joy before Thee according to the joy in harvest,
- As men rejoice when they divide the spoil.
- 3For the yoke of his burden,
- And the staff of his shoulder,
- The rod of his oppressor,
- Thou hast broken as in the day of Midian.
- For every boot stamped with fierceness,
- And every cloak rolled in blood,
- Shall even be for burning, for fuel of fire.
- 5For a child is born unto us,
- A son is given unto us;
- And the government is upon his shoulder;