- The streams of Egypt shall be minished and dried up;
- The reeds and flags shall wither.
- 7The mosses by the Nile, by the brink of the Nile,
- And all that is sown by the Nile,
- Shall become dry, be driven away, and be no more.
- 8The fishers also shall lament,
- And all they that cast angle into the Nile shall mourn,
- And they that spread nets upon the waters shall languish.
- 9Moreover they that work in combed flax,
- And they that weave cotton, shall be ashamed.
- 10And her foundations shall be crushed,
- All they that make dams shall be grieved in soul.
- 11The princes of Zoan are utter fools;
- The wisest counsellors of Pharaoh are a senseless counsel;
- How can ye say unto Pharaoh: 'I am the son of the wise,
- The son of ancient kings'?
- 12Where are they, then, thy wise men?
- And let them tell thee now;
- And let them know what the Lord of hosts
- Hath purposed concerning Egypt.
- 13The princes of Zoan are become fools,
- The princes of Noph are deceived;
- They have caused Egypt to go astray,
- That are the corner-stone of her tribes.
- 14The Lord hath mingled within her
- A spirit of dizziness;
- And they have caused Egypt to stagger in every work thereof,
- As a drunken man staggereth in his vomit.
- 15Neither shall there be for Egypt any work,
- Which head or tail, palm-branch or rush, may do.
16In that day shall Egypt be like unto women; and it shall tremble and fear because of the shaking of the hand of the Lord of hosts, which He shaketh over it. 17And the land of Judah shall become a terror unto Egypt, whensoever one maketh mention thereof to it; it shall be afraid, because of the purpose of the Lord of hosts, which He purposeth against it.
18In that day there shall be five cities in the land of Egypt that speak the language of Canaan, and swear to the Lord of hosts; one shall be called The city of destruction. 19In that day shall there be an altar to the Lord in the midst of the land of Egypt, and a pillar at the border thereof to the Lord. 20And it shall be for a sign and for a witness unto the Lord of hosts in the land of Egypt; for they shall cry unto the Lord because of the oppressors, and He will send them a saviour, and a defender, who will deliver them. 21And the Lord shall make Himself known to Egypt, and the Egyptians shall know the Lord in that day; yea, they shall worship with sacrifice and offering, and shall vow a vow unto the Lord, and shall perform it.
22And the Lord will smite Egypt, smiting and healing; and they shall return unto the Lord, and He will be entreated of them, and will heal them. 23In that day shall there be a highway out of Egypt to Assyria, and the Assyrian shall come into Egypt, and the Egyptian into Assyria; and the Egyptians shall worship with the Assyrians.
24In that day shall Israel be the third with Egypt and with Assyria, a