- For the Lord hath a controversy with the nations,
- He doth plead with all flesh;
- As for the wicked, He hath given them to the sword,
- Saith the Lord.
- 32Thus saith the Lord of hosts:
- Behold, evil shall go forth
- From nation to nation,
- And a great storm shall be raised up
- From the uttermost parts of the earth.
33And the slain of the Lord shall be at that day from one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth; they shall not be lamented, neither gathered, nor buried; they shall be dung upon the face of the ground.
- 34Wail, ye shepherds, and cry;
- And wallow yourselves in the dust, ye leaders of the flock;
- For the days of your slaughter are fully come,
- And I will break you in pieces,
- And ye shall fall like a precious vessel.
- 35And the shepherds shall have no way to flee,
- Nor the leaders of the flock to escape.
- 36Hark! the cry of the shepherds,
- And the wailing of the leaders of the flock!
- For the Lord despoileth their pasture.
- 37And the peaceable folds are brought to silence
- Because of the fierce anger of the Lord.
- 38He hath forsaken His covert, as the lion;
- For their land is become a waste
- Because of the fierceness of the oppressing sword,
- And because of His fierce anger.
26In the beginning of the reign of Jehoiakim the son of Josiah, king of Judah, came this word from the Lord, saying: 2'Thus saith the Lord: Stand in the court of the Lord's house, and speak unto all the cities of Judah, which come to worship in the Lord's house, all the words that I command thee to speak unto them; diminish not a word. 3It may be they will hearken, and turn every man from his evil way; that I may repent Me of the evil, which I purpose to do unto them because of the evil of their doings. 4And thou shalt say unto them: Thus saith the Lord: If ye will not hearken to Me, to walk in My law, which I have set before you, 5to hearken to the words of My servants the prophets, whom I send unto you, even sending them betimes and often, but ye have not hearkened; 6then will I make this house like Shiloh, and will make this city a curse to all the nations of the earth.'
7So the priests and the prophets and all the people heard Jeremiah speaking these words in the house of the Lord. 8Now it came to pass, when Jeremiah had made an end of speaking all that the Lord had commanded him to speak unto all the people, that the priests and the prophets and all the people laid hold on him, saying: 'Thou shalt surely die. 9Why hast thou prophesied in the name of the Lord, saying: This house shall be like Shiloh, and this city shall be desolate, without an inhabitant?' And all the people were gathered against Jeremiah in the house of the Lord.
10When the princes of Judah heard these things, they came up from the king's house unto the house of the Lord; and they sat in the entry of the new gate of the Lord's house. 11Then spoke the priests and the prophets