shall return out of the land of Egypt into the land of Judah, few in number; and all the remnant of Judah, that are gone into the land of Egypt to sojourn there, shall know whose word shall stand, Mine, or theirs. 29And this shall be the sign unto you, saith the Lord, that I will punish you in this place, that ye may know that My words shall surely stand against you for evil; 30thus saith the Lord: Behold, I will give Pharaoh Hophra king of Egypt into the hand of his enemies, and into the hand of them that seek his life; as I gave Zedekiah king of Judah into the hand of Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon, his enemy, and that sought his life.'
45The word that Jeremiah the prophet spoke unto Baruch the son of Neriah, when he wrote these words in a book at the mouth of Jeremiah, in the fourth year of Jehoiakim the son of Josiah, king of Judah, saying: 2'Thus saith the Lord, the God of Israel, concerning thee, O Baruch: Thou didst say:
- 3Woe is me now!
- For the Lord hath added sorrow to my pain;
- I am weary with my groaning,
- And I find no rest.
- 4Thus shalt thou say unto him:
- Thus saith the Lord:
- Behold, that which I have built will I break down,
- And that which I have planted I will pluck up;
- And this in the whole land.
- 5And seekest thou great things for thyself?
- Seek them not;
for, behold, I will bring evil upon all flesh, saith the Lord; but thy life will I give unto thee for a prey in all places whither thou goest.'
46The word of the Lord which came to Jeremiah the prophet concerning the nations.
2Of Egypt: concerning the army of Pharaoh-neco king of Egypt, which was by the river Euphrates in Carchemish, which Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon smote in the fourth year of Jehoiakim the son of Josiah, king of Judah.
- 3Make ready buckler and shield,
- And draw near to battle.
- 4Harness the horses, and mount, ye horsemen,
- And stand forth with your helmets;
- Furbish the spears, put on the coats of mail.
- 5Wherefore do I see them dismayed and turned backward?
- And their mighty ones are beaten down,
- And they are fled apace, and look not back;
- Terror is on every side, saith the Lord.
- 6The swift cannot flee away,
- Nor the mighty man escape;
- In the north by the river Euphrates
- Have they stumbled and fallen.
- 7Who is this like the Nile that riseth up,
- Like the rivers whose waters toss themselves?
- 8Egypt is like the Nile that riseth up,
- And like the rivers whose waters toss themselves;
- And he saith: 'I will rise up, I will cover the earth,
- I will destroy the city and the inhabitants thereof.'
- 9Prance, ye horses, and rush madly, ye chariots;
- And let the mighty men go forth: