- And their women with child shall be ripped up.
- 2Return, O Israel, unto the Lord thy God;
- For thou hast stumbled in thine iniquity.
- 3Take with you words,
- And return unto the Lord;
- Say unto Him: 'Forgive all iniquity,
- And accept that which is good;
- So will we render for bullocks the offering of our lips.
- 4Asshur shall not save us;
- We will not ride upon horses;
- Neither will we call any more the work of our hands our gods;
- For in Thee the fatherless findeth mercy.'
- 5I will heal their backsliding,
- I will love them freely;
- For Mine anger is turned away from him.
- 6I will be as the dew unto Israel;
- He shall blossom as the lily,
- And cast forth his roots as Lebanon.
- 7His branches shall spread,
- And his beauty shall be as the olive-tree,
- And his fragrance as Lebanon.
- 8They that dwell under his shadow shall again
- Make corn to grow,
- And shall blossom as the vine;
- The scent thereof shall be as the wine of Lebanon.
- 9Ephraim [shall say]:
- 'What have I to do any more with idols?'
- As for Me, I respond and look on him;
- I am like a leafy cypress-tree;
- From Me is thy fruit found.
- 10Whoso is wise, let him understand these things,
- Whoso is prudent, let him know them.
- For the ways of the Lord are right,
- And the just do walk in them;
- But transgressors do stumble therein.
1The word of the Lord that came to Joel the son of Pethuel.
- 2Hear this, ye old men,
- And give ear, all ye inhabitants of the land.
- Hath this been in your days,
- Or in the days of your fathers?
- 3Tell ye your children of it,
- And let your children tell their children,
- And their children another generation.
- 4That which the palmer-worm hath left hath the locust eaten;
- And that which the locust hath left hath the canker-worm eaten;
- And that which the canker-worm hath left hath the caterpillar eaten.
- 5Awake, ye drunkards, and weep,
- And wail, all ye drinkers of wine,
- Because of the sweet wine,
- For it is cut off from your mouth.
- 6For a people is come up upon my land,