1The word of the Lord which came unto Zephaniah the son of Cushi, the son of Gedaliah, the son of Amariah, the son of Hezekiah, in the days of Josiah the son of Amon, king of Judah.
- 2I will utterly consume all things
- From off the face of the earth,
- Saith the Lord.
- 3I will consume man and beast,
- I will consume the fowls of the heaven, and the fishes of the sea,
- And the stumblingblocks with the wicked;
- And I will cut off man from off the face of the earth,
- Saith the Lord.
- 4And I will stretch out My hand upon Judah,
- And upon all the inhabitants of Jerusalem;
- And I will cut off the remnant of Baal from this place,
- And the name of the idolatrous priests with the priests;
- 5And them that worship the host of heaven upon the housetops;
- And them that worship, that swear to the Lord
- And swear by Malcam;
- 6Them also that are turned back from following the Lord;
- And those that have not sought the Lord, nor inquired after Him.
- 7Hold thy peace at the presence of the Lord God;
- For the day of the Lord is at hand,
- For the Lord hath prepared a sacrifice,
- He hath consecrated His guests.
- 8And it shall come to pass in the day of the Lord's sacrifice,
- That I will punish the princes, and the king's sons,
- And all such as are clothed with foreign apparel.
- 9In the same day also will I punish all those that leap over the threshold,
- That fill their master's house with violence and deceit
- 10And in that day, saith the Lord,
- Hark! a cry from the fish gate,
- And a wailing from the second quarter,
- And a great crashing from the hills.
- 11Wail, ye inhabitants of Maktesh,
- For all the merchant people are undone;
- All they that were laden with silver are cut off.
- 12And it shall come to pass at that time,
- That I will search Jerusalem with lamps;
- And I will punish the men that are settled on their lees,
- That say in their heart:
- 'The Lord will not do good, neither will He do evil.'
- 13Therefore their wealth shall become a booty,
- And their houses a desolation;
- Yea, they shall build houses, but shall not inhabit them,
- And they shall plant vineyards, but shall not drink the wine thereof.