This page needs to be proofread.
- 'Flee thou! to your mountain, ye birds'?
- 2For, lo, the wicked bend the bow,
- They have made ready their arrow upon the string,
- That they may shoot in darkness at the upright in heart.
- 3When the foundations are destroyed,
- What hath the righteous wrought?
- 4The Lord is in His holy temple,
- The Lord, His throne is in heaven;
- His eyes behold, His eyelids try, the children of men.
- 5The Lord trieth the righteous;
- But the wicked and him that loveth violence His soul hateth.
- 6Upon the wicked He will cause to rain coals;
- Fire and brimstone and burning wind shall be the portion of their cup.
- 7For the Lord is righteous, He loveth righteousness;
- The upright shall behold His face.
12 For the Leader; on the Sheminith. A Psalm of David.
- 2Help, Lord; for the godly man ceaseth;
- For the faithful fail from among the children of men.
- 3They speak falsehood every one with his neighbour;
- With flattering lip, and with a double heart, do they speak.
- 4May the Lord cut off all flattering lips,
- The tongue that speaketh proud things!
- 5Who have said: 'Our tongue will we make mighty;
- Our lips are with us: who is lord over us?'
- 6'For the oppression of the poor, for the sighing of the needy,
- Now will I arise', saith the Lord;
- 'I will set him in safety at whom they puff.'
- 7The words of the Lord are pure words,
- As silver tried in a crucible on the earth, refined seven times.
- 8Thou wilt keep them, O Lord;
- Thou wilt preserve us from this generation for ever.
- 9The wicked walk on every side,
- When vileness is exalted among the sons of men.
13 For the Leader. A Psalm of David.
- 2How long, O Lord, wilt Thou forget me for ever?
- How long wilt Thou hide Thy face from me?
- 3How long shall I take counsel in my soul, having sorrow in my heart by day?
- How long shall mine enemy be exalted over me?
- 4Behold Thou, and answer me, O Lord my God;
- Lighten mine eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death;
- 5Lest mine enemy say: 'I have prevailed against him';
- Lest mine adversaries rejoice when I am moved.
- 6But as for me, in Thy mercy do I trust;
- My heart shall rejoice in Thy salvation.
- I will sing unto the Lord,