This page needs to be proofread.
- And I will wait for Thy name, for it is good, in the presence of Thy saints.
53 For the Leader; upon Mahalath. Maschil of David.
- 2The fool hath said in his heart: 'There is no God';
- They have dealt corruptly, and have done abominable iniquity; :There is none that doeth good.
- 3God looked forth from heaven upon the children of men,
- To see if there were any man of understanding, that did seek after God.
- 4Every one of them is unclean, they are together become impure;
- There is none that doeth good, no, not one.
- 5'Shall not the workers of iniquity know it,
- Who eat up My people as they eat bread,
- And call not upon God?'
- 6There are they in great fear, where no fear was;
- For God hath scattered the bones of him that encampeth against thee;
- Thou hast put them to shame, because God hath rejected them.
- 7Oh that the salvation of Israel were come out of Zion!
- When God turneth the captivity of His people,
- Let Jacob rejoice, let Israel be glad.
54 For the Leader; with string-music. Maschil of David: 2when the Ziphites came and said to Saul: 'Doth not David hide himself with us?'
- 3O God, save me by Thy name,
- And right me by Thy might.
- 4O God, hear my prayer; give ear to the words of my mouth.
- 5For strangers are risen up against me,
- And violent men have sought after my soul;
- They have not set God before them. Selah
- 6Behold, God is my helper;
- The Lord is for me as the upholder of my soul.
- 7He will requite the evil unto them that lie in wait for me;
- Destroy Thou them in Thy truth.
- 8With a freewill-offering will I sacrifice unto Thee;
- I will give thanks unto Thy name, O Lord, for it is good.
- 9For He hath delivered me out of all trouble;
- And mine eye hath gazed upon mine enemies.
55 For the Leader; with string-music. Maschil of David
- 2Give ear, O God, to my prayer;
- And hide not Thyself from my supplication.
- 3Attend unto me, and answer me;
- I am distraught in my complaint, and will moan;
- 4Because of the voice of the enemy,
- Because of the oppression of the wicked;
- For they cast mischief upon me,
- And in anger they persecute me.
- 5My heart doth writhe within me;
- And the terrors of death are fallen upon me.
- 6Fear and trembling come upon me,
- And horror hath overwhelmed me.
- 7And I said: 'Oh that I had wings like a dove!
- Then would I fly away, and be at rest.
- 8Lo, then would I wander far off,