This page needs to be proofread.
73 A Psalm of Asaph.
- Surely God is good to Israel,
- Even to such as are pure in heart.
- 2But as for me, my feet were almost gone;
- My steps had well nigh slipped.
- 3For I was envious at the arrogant,
- When I saw the prosperity of the wicked.
- 4For there are no pangs at their death,
- And their body is sound.
- 5In the trouble of man they are not;
- Neither are they plagued like men.
- 6Therefore pride is as a chain about their neck;
- Violence covereth them as a garment.
- 7Their eyes stand forth from fatness;
- They are gone beyond the imaginations of their heart.
- 8They scoff, and in wickedness utter oppression;
- They speak as if there were none on high.
- 9They have set their mouth against the heavens,
- And their tongue walketh through the earth.
- 10Therefore His people return hither;
- And waters of fullness are drained out by them.
- 11And they say: 'How doth God know?
- And is there knowledge in the Most High?'
- 12Behold, such are the wicked;
- And they that are always at ease increase riches.
- 13Surely in vain have I cleansed my heart,
- And washed my hands in innocency;
- 14For all the day have I been plagued,
- And my chastisement came every morning.
- 15If I had said: 'I will speak thus',
- Behold, I had been faithless to the generation of Thy children.
- 16And when I pondered how I might know this,
- It was wearisome in mine eyes;
- 17Until I entered into the sanctuary of God,
- And considered their end.
- 18Surely Thou settest them in slippery places;
- Thou hurlest them down to utter ruin.
- 19How are they become a desolation in a moment!
- They are wholly consumed by terrors.
- 20As a dream when one awaketh,
- So, O Lord, when Thou arousest Thyself, Thou wilt despise their semblance.
- 21For my heart was in a ferment,
- And I was pricked in my reins.
- 22But I was brutish, and ignorant;
- I was as a beast before Thee.
- 23Nevertheless I am continually with Thee;
- Thou holdest my right hand.
- 24Thou wilt guide me with Thy counsel,
- And afterward receive me with glory.
- 25Whom have I in heaven but Thee?
- And beside Thee I desire none upon earth.
- 26My flesh and my heart faileth;
- But God is the rock of my heart and my portion for ever.
- 27For, lo, they that go far from Thee shall perish;
- Thou dost destroy all them that go astray from Thee.