This page needs to be proofread.
- 4'Whoso is thoughtless, let him turn in hither';
- As for him that lacketh understanding, she saith to him:
- 5'Come, eat of my bread,
- And drink of the wine which I have mingled.
- 6Forsake all thoughtlessness, and live;
- And walk in the way of understanding.
- 7He that correcteth a scorner getteth to himself shame,
- And he that reproveth a wicked man, it becometh unto him a blot.
- 8Reprove not a scorner, lest he hate thee;
- Reprove a wise man, and he will love thee.
- 9Give to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser;
- Teach a righteous man, and he will increase in learning.
- 10The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom,
- And the knowledge of the All-holy is understanding.
- 11For by me thy days shall be multiplied,
- And the years of thy life shall be increased.
- 12If thou art wise, thou art wise for thyself;
- And if thou scornest, thou alone shalt bear it.'
- 13The woman Folly is riotous;
- She is thoughtless, and knoweth nothing.
- 14And she sitteth at the door of her house,
- On a seat in the high places of the city,
- 15To call to them that pass by,
- Who go right on their ways:
- 16'Whoso is thoughtless, let him turn in hither';
- And as for him that lacketh understanding, she saith to him:
- 17'Stolen waters are sweet,
- And bread eaten in secret is pleasant.'
- 18But he knoweth not that the shades are there;
- That her guests are in the depths of the nether-world.
10 The proverbs of Solomon.
- A wise son maketh a glad father;
- But a foolish son is the grief of his mother.
- 2Treasures of wickedness profit nothing;
- But righteousness delivereth from death.
- 3The Lord will not suffer the soul of the righteous to famish;
- But He thrusteth away the desire of the wicked.
- 4He becometh poor that dealeth with a slack hand; But the hand of the diligent maketh rich.
- 5A wise son gathereth in summer;
- But a son that doeth shamefully sleepeth in harvest.
- 6Blessings are upon the head of the righteous;
- But the mouth of the wicked concealeth violence.
- 7The memory of the righteous shall be for a blessing;
- But the name of the wicked shall rot.
- 8The wise in heart will receive commandments;
- But a prating fool shall fall.