This page needs to be proofread.
- 8Scornful men set a city in a blaze;
- But wise men turn away wrath.
- 9If a wise man contendeth with a foolish man,
- Whether he be angry or laugh, there will be no rest.
- 10The men of blood hate him that is sincere;
- And as for the upright, they seek his life.
- 11A fool spendeth all his spirit;
- But a wise man stilleth it within him.
- 12If a ruler hearkeneth to falsehood,
- All his servants are wicked.
- 13The poor man and the oppressor meet together;
- The Lord giveth light to the eyes of them both.
- 14The king that faithfully judgeth the poor,
- His throne shall be established for ever.
- 15The rod and reproof give wisdom;
- But a child left to himself causeth shame to his mother.
- 16When the wicked are increased, transgression increaseth;
- But the righteous shall gaze upon their fall.
- 17Correct thy son, and he will give thee rest;
- Yea, he will give delight unto thy soul.
- 18Where there is no vision, the people cast off restraint;
- But he that keepeth the law, happy is he.
- 19A servant will not be corrected by words;
- For though he understand, there will be no response.
- 20Seest thou a man that is hasty in his words?
- There is more hope for a fool than for him.
- 21He that delicately bringeth up his servant from a child
- Shall have him become master at the last.
- 22An angry man stirreth up strife,
- And a wrathful man aboundeth in transgression.
- 23A man's pride shall bring him low;
- But he that is of a lowly spirit shall attain to honour.
- 24Whoso is partner with a thief hateth his own soul:
- He heareth the adjuration and uttereth nothing.
- 25The fear of man bringeth a snare;
- But whoso putteth his trust in the Lord shall be set up on high.
- 26Many seek the ruler's favour;
- But a man's judgment cometh from the Lord.
- 27An unjust man is an abomination to the righteous;
- And he that is upright in the way is an abomination to the wicked.
30 The words of Agur the son of Jakeh; the burden.
- The man saith unto Ithiel, unto Ithiel and Ucal: