ii 8. XL FEB. 20, 1915.] NOTES AND QUERIES.
towards the Bhine again and . named the Creacas, whose country I have identified with " Anpaib." This folk was so placed on the eastern side of the Bhine that their objective in invasion was the state of the Treveri, and their northern neighbours were the Gotas, who were governed by a descend- ant of the eponymus of the country called " Anpaib," sc. Eormenric.
The historic Attila was brother of Bleda, son of Mundzouk, nephew of Bugilas, and successor, at three or four removes, of Balamber. There is no room for doubt as to the origin of such names ; they cannot be Germanic.
The ^Etla of ' Widsith,' who " weold Hunum," was son of Budli, the Buthlus of Saxo. His sisters were named Brynhild and Beckhild. The former married Gunnar (=GutJhere of 'Widsith' and Gunpihari of early writers). The latter married Heimir =Hama, and had a son Alsvid=^ElswiS. Budli was Jarmeric's uncle, moreover. His name recalls the Frankish name of Bodilo and the name of the Hampshire hundred of Buddlesgate. Its Middle High German form is Potel- : cp. " Potelung," the name of the " Meister " of Wolfdieterich in the Saga of that name. In Saxo Buthlus has a daughter named Hilda who marries a Hun. named Helgo. By him she has a son Hilde- brand, in " Hunnia educatus," who " copiis regis Hunnise prseerat." This warrior was slain by his half-brother Asmund near the Bhine. There is nothing in the story of the family connexions of Attle which casts the slightest doubt upon the certain belief that he was of Germanic race.
STATUES AND MEMOBIALS IN THE BBITISH ISLES.
(See 10 S. xi. 441 ; xii. 51, 114, 181, 401 ; 11 S. i. 282 ; ii. 42, 381 ; iii. 22, 222, 421 ; iv. 181, 361 ; v. 62, 143, 481 ; vi. 4, 284, 343 ; vii. 64, 144, 175, 263, 343, 442 ; viii. 4, 82, 183, 285, 382, 444 ; ix. 65, 164, 384, 464; x. 103, 226, 303, 405; xi. 24.)
Colchester. In 1902 a marble monument designed by Mr. John Belcher, A.B.A., was erected on the main staircase of the Town Hall, near the entrance door of the Moot Hall. The donor was Mr. S. F. Hurnard, J.P., of Hill House, Lexden. The frame- work of the memorial is of choice mottled marble, the inscriptions being recorded in lead lettering on panels of pure white
marble. The pediment is richly moulded,, and in the centre is carved a martyr's crown. Beneath the pediment the borough arms, heraldically coloured, divide the motto " No cross, no crown." The work was executed by Messrs. L. J. Watts. The- inscriptions are as follows :
The Colchester Martyrs. 1428 William Chivelyng, tailor, burned. 1546 John Camper, or one of his two companions, executed.
1555 John Lawrence, formerly a Black Friar,
Nicholas Chamberlayne, burned. James Gore, died in prison.
1556 Christopher Lyster, burned.
John Mace, apothecary, burned. ,, John Spencer, weaver, burned. Simon Joyne, sawyer, burned. Richard Nichols, weaver, burned. John Hammond, tanner, burned.
1557 John Thurston, died a prisoner in the Castle. William Bongeor, glazier, burned.
William Purchas, burned. Thomas Benold, tallow-chandler, burned. Agnes Silver-side, burned. Helen Ewing, burned. Elizabeth Foulkes, burned. William Munt, burned. Alice Munt, burned. Rose Allen, burned. John Johnson, burned. Margaret Thurston, burned. Agnes Bongeor, burned. William Harris, burned. Richard Day, burned.
Christiana George, burned in the Castle Yard. 1656 James Parnell, died a prisoner in the Castle. 1664 Edward Graunt, beaten by soldiers : died from wounds.
This Tablet is placed by Samuel Fennell Hurnard
Anno Domini MDCCCCI
to commemorate the men and women
whose names are here inscribed,
who seeking to obey God rather
than men suffered martyrdom at
Colchester for their faith. But the souls of the righteous are in the hand of
And there shall no torment touch them. In the sight of the unwise they seemed to die,
And their departure is taken for misery, And their going from us to be utter destruction,
But they are in peace. For though they be punished in the sight of men.
Yet is their hope full of immortality, And having been a little chastised they shall be
Greatly rewarded, for God proved them And found them worthy for Himself.
Wisdom of Solomon, 5 chap.
Another memorial was erected by public subscription in St. Peter's Church in 1843. It is placed in the centre of 'the south wall of the chancel, and consists of a white marble tablet surmounted by an open Bible and crown flanked with palm branches. At the