This page has been validated.
EQUITATION AND HORSE TRAINING
Question XIX (p. 66 ):
- Work at the gallop.
- Course to be followed in teaching a horse to lead with a given foot.
Question XX (p. 68 ):
- Where should the training of the troop horse stop?
- The false gallop.
- Taking the gallop alternately from either foot at short intervals.
- Change of lead. Precautions.
- Continuation of training. Work at the slow trot. Gallop exercises.
Question XXI (p. 71 ):
- How are young horses taught to jump?
- Jumping at liberty.
- Jumping on the longe.
- High jumps.
- Broad jumps.
- Jumping mounted.
Question XXII (p. 74 ):
- To accustom young horses to the saber, to firing, and to noises.
- Swimming exercises.
Question XXIII (p. 76 ):
- Various faults of saddle horses. Means of remedying them.
Question XXIV (p. 79 ):
- Conditions to be fulfilled by a good saddle.
- How should a horse be saddled?
Question XXV (p. 80 ):
- Holding the snaffle reins.
- Holding the double bridle reins.
- Handling the reins.
Question XXVI (p. 82 ):
- What is meant by the aids and how are they classified?
- Function of the hands. Direct rein. Indirect rein. Rein of opposition.
Question XXVII (p. 84 ):
- Function of the legs; their different effects.
- Unison of the legs. Horse in the legs. Horse behind the legs.
- Length of stirrups.
- Position of the foot in the stirrup.
Question XXVIII (p. 87 ):
- Function of the neck in equitation.
- Kind of neck to be selected.
- Different positions of the neck.
- Different positions of the head.
- Influence of conformation.