1861 had reached its twelfth edition; had been translated into eight different languages, and was used by scores of thousands of students the world over. The current American translation of this work, "Stöckhardt's Principles of Chemistry," is very widely and pleasantly known among teachers and students in this country.
In 1844 Stöckhardt began a course of popular agricultural lectures before the Chemnitz Agricultural Society. To these lectures may be traced the beginning of the movement which, eight years later, resulted in the establishment at Möckern, Saxony, of the first of the agricultural experiment stations, of which there are now over one hundred in Europe and several in the United States, and from whose work, it may be said without exaggeration, has emanated a great part—perhaps the greater part—of our accurate knowledge of the principles of chemistry and physiology that underlie the right practice of agriculture. On the occasion of the celebration, in 1877, of the twenty-fifth anniversary of the founding of the Möckern Station, three albums, with photographs of the directors of the experiments at that time established, were provided: one for the parent station at Möckern, one for Professor von Wolff, its first director; and one for Professor Stöckhardt in consideration of his services in founding and promoting that and other stations.
From 1846 to 1849 Stockhardt was editor of the "Polytechnisches Centralblatt," and from 1850 to 1855 of the "Zeitschrift für deutsche Landwirthe." In 1848 he was appointed Professor of Agricultural Chemistry in the Royal Academy at Tharandt, where a new chair had been founded purposely for him, and where he has since remained. Since then, extending his idea of popular agricultural instruction, he has given plain conversational lectures to farmers' clubs and societies in Saxony and other parts of Germany, explaining the improvement in agriculture which chemical science has shown to be desirable, and illustrating them with experiments where practicable. The more important of these lectures have been published with the title "Chemische Feldpredigten" ("Chemical Field-Sermons"), and have been translated into several languages. In 1855 he established at Leipsic "Der chemische Ackersmann," a journal which was continued until 1876, when increase of years and cares, and the doing away of its necessity by the establishment, with his aid, of another journal, "Die Landwirthschaftlichen Versuchs-Stationen," occasioned its discontinuance.
But this brief outline of his career gives very little idea of Stockhardt as a man, an investigator, a teacher, and an expounder of the occult facts of science. To know him in these relations one must see him at his home, among his friends, in his study, his laboratory, his lecture-room, with students and farmers, and must read him in his books.
In appearance and demeanor he is plain and quiet. In social inter-