and in kindred subjects, the giving of instruction in the same, and the maintenance of public exhibits of a botanical nature.
The assignment of the necessary lands by the city was made contingent on the institute providing a private fund of at least $50,000. Public-spirited citizens of Brooklyn, who wish to remain anonymous, offered, in June, 1905, to give $25,000 toward this fund, and in December, 1906, this offer was doubled, thus completing the $50,000 required.
The garden grounds, turned over to the institute by the city on February 1, 1911, comprise approximately forty-three acres, lying to the south and west of the Central Museum building, in the very heart of the borough of Brooklyn. The plan of the garden, as laid out by the landscape architects, is shown in Fig. 1. The main entrance, on Flatbush
Fig. 4. Laboratory and Administration Building. Plan of the basement. In the final plans the northeast "Instructors' Room" has been divided into three smaller rooms.