That wheels do not press down the ground.
- Touching only at a point.
That the eye does not see.
- It is the man.
That the finger does not touch. That the uttermost extreme is not the end. That a tortoise is longer than a snake.
- Because longer lived!
That a carpenter's square is not square.
- Like Horace's whetstone which makes other things sharp, "exsors ipsa secandi."
That compasses will not make a circle.
- It is the draughtsman.
That a round hole will not surround a square handle. That the shadow of a flying bird does not move. That there is a moment when a swiftly-flying arrow is neither moving nor at rest. That a dog is not a hound.
- Two things cannot be identical unless even their names are the same.
That a bay horse and a dun cow are three.
- Taken separately they are two. Taken together they are one. One and two make three.
That a white dog is black.
- If his eyes are black. Part standing for the whole.
That a motherless colt never had a mother.
- When it had a mother, it was not an orphan.