Karina Williamson notes: "The patience of Christ in accepting incarnation and crucifixion is cited in the Collect for the Sunday before Easter as an example for Christians to follow".
- 3—4. See Job 28:16—19, where said that wisdom (but not patience) to be more precious than jewels.
- 5—6. See Jubilate Agno B405 and n.
- 18. Him — in some other editions (71, 72, 72a, 75) him.
- 19. had nor — in some other editions (72, 72a, 86) had not.
- 17—20. See 1 Kings 17:5—6, and John 18:1. Here Smart mixes Elijah in the wilderness (who drank of the brook) with Jesus (who crossed Cedron).