|This is a documentation subpage for Template:PD-NZGov.|
It contains usage information, categories and other content that is not part of the original template page.
Copyright Act 1994 No. 143 (as at 07 July 2010), Public ActEdit
- (1) Where a work is made by a person employed or engaged by the Crown under a contract of service, a contract of apprenticeship, or a contract for services,—
- (a) the work qualifies for copyright notwithstanding section 17(1); and
- (b) the Crown is the first owner of any copyright in the work.
- (2) Copyright in such a work is referred to in this Act as Crown copyright, notwithstanding that such copyright is assigned to another person.
- (3) Crown copyright shall expire,—
- (a) in the case of a typographical arrangement of a published edition, at the end of the period of 25 years from the end of the calendar year in which the work is made:
- (b) in the case of any other work, at the end of the period of 100 years from the end of the calendar year in which the work is made.
- (4) In the case of a work of joint authorship where 1 or more, but not all, of the authors are persons employed or engaged by the Crown under a contract of service, a contract of apprenticeship, or a contract for services, this section applies only in relation to those authors and the copyright existing by virtue of their contribution to the work.
- (5) Subject to this section and to any other express provision of this Act, the provisions of this Act apply in relation to Crown copyright as to other copyright.
- (6) Subsection (1) applies subject to any agreement to the contrary.
- (7) This section is subject to section 27.
- Compare: 1962 No 33 s 52; Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 s 163 (UK)
- (1) No copyright exists in any of the following works, whenever those works were made:
- (a) any Bill introduced into the House of Representatives:
- (b) any Act as defined in section 29 of the Interpretation Act 1999:
- (c) any regulations:
- (d) any bylaw as defined in section 2 of the Bylaws Act 1910:
- (e) the New Zealand Parliamentary Debates:
- (f) reports of select committees laid before the House of Representatives:
- (g) judgments of any court or tribunal:
- (h) reports of Royal commissions, commissions of inquiry, ministerial inquiries, or statutory inquiries.
- (1A) No Crown copyright exists in any work, whenever that work was made,—
- (a) in which the Crown copyright has not been assigned to another person; and
- (b) that is incorporated by reference in a work referred to in subsection (1).
- (1B) Except as specified in subsection (1A), nothing in subsection (1) affects copyright in any work that is incorporated by reference in a work referred to in subsection (1).
- (2) Subsection (1) shall come into force on a date to be appointed by the Governor-General by Order in Council; and 1 or more Orders in Council may be made appointing different dates for different paragraphs of that subsection.
- Section 27(1): brought into force, on 1 April 2001, by the Copyright Act Commencement Order 2000 (SR 2000/245).
- Section 27(1): amended, on 1 November 1999, pursuant to section 38 of the Interpretation Act 1999 (1999 No 85).
- Section 27(1A): inserted, on 14 April 2005, by section 3 of the Copyright Amendment Act 2005 (2005 No 33).
- Section 27(1B): inserted, on 14 April 2005, by section 3 of the Copyright Amendment Act 2005 (2005 No 33).