The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Lexington (county)
LEXINGTON, a central county of South Carolina, bounded N. E. by the Congaree and S. W. by the Edisto river, and intersected by the Saluda and N. Edisto; area, 980 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 12,988, of whom 4,536 were colored. The surface is diversified. The chief productions in 1870 were 46,383 bushels of wheat, 180,729 of Indian corn, 13,584 of oats, 33,647 of sweet potatoes, 2,534 bales of cotton, and 32,275 lbs. of rice. There were 1,568 horses, 954 mules and asses, 3,204 milch cows, 6,521 other cattle, 4,449 sheep, and 16,962 swine; 1 cotton factory, 11 flour mills, and 7 saw mills. Capital, Lexington Court House.