The American Cyclopædia (1879)/White Plains
WHITE PLAINS, a town and the county seat of Westchester co., New York, on the Harlem railroad, 25 m. N. N. E. of the city hall of New York; pop. in 1870, 2,630; in 1875, 2,727. It contains two banks, four schools, two weekly newspapers, and six churches.—On Oct. 12, 1776, Gen. Howe, for the purpose of flanking the American position on the upper part of Manhattan island, landed the van of his army on Throgg's neck, Westchester co. Washington immediately occupied the causeway and bridge leading from the neck, began the evacuation of Manhattan island, and detached a corps to White Plains. On the 18th the British, having resolved to strike at White Plains, crossed in boats, landing at the mouth of Hutchinson river, just below East Chester. The Americans proceeded up the W. bank of the Bronx river, and on the 23d Washington established his headquarters at White Plains. In the mean time several skirmishes had taken place. On the 25th Howe, who had been reënforced, encamped at Scarsdale, his right being about 4 m. from White Plains. On the morning of the 28th he advanced with 13,000 men, but, hesitating to attack Washington, who occupied a strong position with somewhat superior numbers, he sent about 4,000 men to carry Chatterton hill, W. of the Bronx, which was held by about 1,400 Americans under McDougall. This movement was successful, McDougall being forced to retire to Washington's camp with a loss of about 80 prisoners and nearly 100 killed and wounded; the British lost 229. Howe now waited for reënforcements to attack Washington, but on the night of the 31st the latter withdrew his army to a still stronger position on high ground above White Plains. On Nov. 5 Howe broke up his encampment and moved to Dobbs Ferry, and on the 9th Washington began sending part of his troops to New Jersey, following himself soon after. Lee with the residue remained some time longer E. of the Hudson.