The Dictionary of Australasian Biography/Lucas, Arthur Henry Shakespeare
Lucas, Arthur Henry Shakespeare, M.A., B.Sc., son of the Rev. Samuel Lucas, of Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire, was born in 1853. He was an exhibitioner at Matriculation at London University in 1870, and in the same year matriculated at Balliol College, Oxford, of which he was exhibitioner until 1874. In 1872 he was first class in Mathematical Moderations; in 1874 he took honours (Ægrotat) in Mathematics and Physics; in 1876 was Burdett-Coutts University Geological Scholar; and in 1877 he graduated B.A. and M.A. at Oxford. During the years 1876 and 1877 Mr. Lucas was senior Science scholar, prizeman in Botany, and certificated in Anatomy at the London Hospital Medical School; in 1877 gold medallist in Botany, Apothecaries' Hall, London; and from 1877 to 1882 assistant master (Mathematics and Natural Science) at the Leys School, Cambridge. After his arrival in Victoria Mr. Lucas was from 1883 assistant master and lecturer (Mathematics and Natural Science) at the Wesley College, Melbourne; in 1884-5 lecturer and tutor in Natural Science, Ormond College; from 1886 lecturer and tutor in Natural Science, Trinity College, Melbourne University; from 1884 to 1886 hon. prosector to the Zoological Society of Victoria; 1885-7 Vice-President of the Microscopical 8ociety of Victoria; 1884-7 Vice-President of the Field Naturalists' Club of Victoria; and in 1887 President of that Club. In 1888 he became Senior Fellow and tutor in Mathematics and Natural Science at Queen's College, Melbourne University. Mr. Lucas, since his arrival, has contributed papers on scientific subjects to the Royal Society of Victoria, the Microscopical Society, and to the Field Club; as also in former days to the Geological Magazine. He has edited the Victorian Naturalist from its first issue. On his proposal the Royal Society in 1888 appointed a committee to initiate a biological survey of Port Phillip, and of that committee Mr. Lucas is honorary secretary and treasurer. In conjunction with Mr. J. B. Gregory, he was the first to urge that Wilson's Promontory should be set aside as a national park for the colony.