The Dictionary of Australasian Biography/Turner, Right Rev. James Francis
Turner, Right Rev. James Francis, D.D., Bishop of Grafton and Armidale, New South Wales, is the son of the late Right Hon. Sir George James Turner, D.C.L., Judge of Appeal in Chancery, by his marriage with the youngest daughter of Edward Jones, of Brackley, Northamptonshire. He was born at Yarmouth in 1829, and educated at the Charterhouse and at Durham University, where he graduated B.A. in 1851, M.A. in 1853, and was made D.D. by diploma in 1868. He was ordained deacon in 1852, and priest in 1853. He was chaplain and censor of Bishop Cosin's Hall in Durham University from 1851 to 1854; curate of Walton, Somerset, from 1857 to 1858; rector of North Tidworth, Wilts, from 1858 to 1869; and rural dean of Amesbury, Wilts, from 1868 to 1869, in February of which year he was consecrated Bishop of Grafton and Armidale, in Westminster Abbey, by Archbishop Tait of Canterbury, Bishop Selwyn of New Zealand, and six other prelates.