The New International Encyclopædia/Burlington (New Jersey)
BURLINGTON. A city and port of entry in Burlington County, N. J., on the Delaware River, 18 miles above Philadelphia, and on the Pennsylvania Railroad (Map: New Jersey, C 3). Burlington has a public library, and is the seat of Burlington College, founded in 1846, and Saint Mary's Hall for girls (Protestant Episcopal). There are manufactures of shoes, stoves, iron pipe, carriages and harness, and canned goods. Burlington is governed under a charter of 1851 (revised 1868), which provides for a mayor, elected every three years, and a municipal council. The city owns and operates its water-works. Population, in 1890, 7264; in 1900, 7392.
Burlington was settled in 1677 by London and Yorkshire Friends, and before receiving its present name, was called first New Beverly, and then Bridlington. After 1686, until Trenton was made the capital of New Jersey, the Legislature met alternately at Perth Amboy and Burlington. A city charter, granted by Governor Cosby in 1733, was confirmed by the Legislature in 1744, and in 1784 a new charter was issued. The city was fired upon by the English and Hessians in 1776, and again in 1778, when much property was destroyed, though no lives were lost. Consult Woodward, History of Burlington and Mercer Counties (Philadelphia, 1883).