The New International Encyclopædia/Georgia, University of
GEORGIA, University of. An institution of higher education, chartered in 1785, and formally opened at Athens, Ga., in 1801. Its government is vested in a board of trustees appointed by the Governor. At the outbreak of the Civil War the faculty and most of the students joined the Confederate Army, and the institution remained closed until 1866. The proceeds of the sales of lands received by Georgia under the United States Land Grant Act of 1862 were transferred to the university in 1872, and the university, which in its inception was designed as a classical school, has, since the close of the Civil War, broadened its scope, and in 1902 comprised: Franklin College; the State College of Agriculture; the Graduate School; the Law School; the North Georgia Agricultural College, situated at Dahlonega; the Medical College, situated at Augusta; the School of Technology, situated at Atlanta; the Normal and Industrial School for Girls, situated at Milledgeville; the State Normal School; and the Industrial College for colored persons, which includes a well-equipped trade department. The total attendance, including 658 preparatory students, in 1902 was 2689. The library contains about 30,000 volumes, and the university owns twelve buildings. The running expenses of the university are partly defrayed by an annual State grant of $8000.