The New International Encyclopædia/Newport (Kentucky)
NEWPORT. A city in Campbell County, Ky., at the junction of the Ohio and Licking rivers, which separate it from Cincinnati, Ohio, and Covington, Ky.; and on the Chesapeake and Ohio and the Louisville and Nashville railroads (Map: Kentucky, G 1). There are bridges across both rivers, and the cities of Cincinnati, Newport, and Covington are connected by electric railroad, the Kentucky cities being popular as places of residence for Cincinnati business men. A few miles distant, in the hills back of Newport, is the United States military post, Fort Thomas. Newport has a city park, and a public library, the library building ranking with other prominent edifices of the city—the court house, municipal building, and in addition the post office, Masonic Temple, and Newport and German national banks. The chief manufactured products are watch-cases, cast iron pipes, sheet iron, rails, carriage supplies, and cigar-box material. Settled about 1791, Newport was incorporated in 1795 as a town, and in 1850 received a city charter. The government, under a charter of 1894, is administered by a bicameral council and by a mayor, elected every four years. The executive appoints fire, police, and water-works commissioners, and, with the consent of the board of aldermen, the city auditor and superintendent of public works. The council is selected from the wards, but elected at large, and appoints bridge commissioners. Other municipal officials and the board of education are chosen by popular vote. Members of the municipal council and board of education hold office for two years, all other officers for four years. The city owns and operates the water-works. Population, in 1890, 24,918; in 1900, 28,301.