The Hon. J. D. FitzGerald, K.C., who died on Saturday in a nursing home in London after an operation was, until his recent retirement, a leading member of the Parliamentary Bar. Second son of the late Lord FitzGerald, and born in 1848, he went to Oscott, to University College, London, and to Christ's College, Cambridge, where he tool a First Class in Law Tripos, and was Secretary of the Union. He was called by the Inner Temple in 1872, took silk in 1890, and was elected a bencher of his Inn in 1906. He married, in 1881, Emma Ysolda, second daughter of Sir Thomas Barrett Lennard, second baronet, who survives him. Captain Gerald T. FitzGerald, barrister, the elder son, has fallen in the war, Captain Maurice Pembroke FitzGerald, R.F.A., a barrister of the Inner Temple, is now serving abroad. There were also four daughters of the marriage.
At Cambridge, Mr. FitzGerald was one of the editors of Momus and in later years he contributed to the Dictionary of National Biography. He took an important part legally in the acquisition of the undertakings of the London water companies for the Metropolitan Water Boards, and his advice saved the public a very large amount in one of the compensation claims. He also took a prominent part in the formation of the Port of London Authority, and appeared regularly for the London County Council and often for the Board of Trade. He retired from the Bar two years or more ago to devote his time to the Trading with the Enemy Advisory Committee, of which he was a member. Mr. FitzGerald, who was a member of Brooks's, the Reform, and the Athenæum clubs, was a sound lawyer, and a practised arbitrator, beside being a great Parliamentary advocate.