Colonel E. M. Lloyd
Colonel E. M. Lloyd, R.E. (retired) who died at his home, Glenhurst, Brighton-road, Sutton, Surrey, on January 11, was born in London on September 1840. He was the son of Francis Lloyd, tobacco manufacturer, of Snow-hill, and was educated at Blackheath Proprietary School, and the Royal Military Academy, Woolwich. He was commissioned Lieutenant, R.E. on June 22, 1859, and was employed mainly on coast defences at Dover, Hobart, Portland, Hong-kong, and Tynemouth. From 1872 to 1882 he was Instructor and Professor of Fortification at R.M. Academy, and from 1887 to 1892 he was an Assistant Inspector-General of Fortifications at the War Office. He retired from the Army in 1892, but was employed in the Intelligence Division of the War Office during the Boer War, and was given the brevet rank of Colonel.
Colonel Lloyd published "Vauban, Montalembert, Carnot: Engineer Studies," in 1885, and a "Review of the History of Infantry," in 1898. He was a contributor to the "Dictionary of National Biography," writing more than 100 military memoirs, including that of Wellington; and was an occasional contributor to The Times. He wrote also for the "Cambridge Modern History" (Vols. IV. and IX.), the Quarterly Review, and other periodicals. He was a vice-president of the Royal Historical Society and a member of the Athenæum, vice-chairman of the Epsom Board of Guardians, and on the Committee of the Surrey Branch of the National Service League.
In 1862 he married Rosa Harriette, daughter of E. P. Davies, of Christchurch, Hants. and had four children.