GLENCOE, a glen in Scotland, situated in the north of Argyllshire. Beginning at the north-eastern base of Buchaille Etive, it takes a gentle north-westerly trend for 10 m. to its mouth on Loch Leven, a salt-water arm of Loch Linnhe. On both sides it is shut in by wild and precipitous mountains and its bed is swept by the Coe—Ossian’s “dark Cona,”—which rises in the hills at its eastern end. About half-way down the glen the stream forms the tiny Loch Triochatan. Towards Invercoe the landscape acquires a softer beauty. Here Lord Strathcona, who, in 1894, purchased the heritage of the Macdonalds of Glencoe, built his stately mansion of Mount Royal. The principal mountains on the south side are the various peaks of Buachaille Etive, Stob Dearg (3345 ft.), Bidean nam Bian (3756 ft.) and Meall Mor (2215 ft.), and on the northern side the Pap of Glencoe (2430 ft.), Sgor nam Fiannaidh (3168 ft.) and Meall Dearg (3118 ft.). Points of interest are the Devil’s Staircase, a steep, boulder-strewn “cut” (1754 ft. high) across the hills to Fort William; the Study; the cave of Ossian, where tradition says that he was born, and the Iona cross erected in 1883 by a Macdonald in memory of his clansmen who perished in the massacre of 1692. About 1 m. beyond the head of the glen is Kingshouse, a relic of the old coaching days, when it was customary for tourists to drive from Ballachulish via Tyndrum to Loch Lomond. Now the Glencoe excursion is usually made from Oban—by rail to Achnacloich, steamer up Loch Etive, coach up Glen Etive and down Glencoe and steamer at Ballachulish to Oban. One mile to the west of the Glen lies the village of Ballachulish (pop. 1143). It is celebrated for its slate quarries, which have been worked since 1760. The industry provides employment for 600 men and the annual output averages 30,000 tons. The slate is of excellent quality and is used throughout the United Kingdom. Ballachulish is a station on the Callander and Oban extension line to Fort William (Caledonian railway). The pier and ferry are some 2 m. W. of the village.