Open main menu

POMPOSA, an abbey of Emilia, Italy, in the province of Ferrara, 2 m. from Codigoro, which is 30 m. E. of Ferrara in the delta of the Po. The fine church, a work of the 10th (?) century, with interesting sculptures on the façade and a splendid Romanesque campanile, contains a good mosaic pavement, and interesting frescoes of the 14th century—a “ Last Judgment ” of the school of Giotto and others; and there are also paintings in the refectory. It was abandoned in 1550 on account of malaria.

See G. Agnelli, Ferrara e Pomposa (Bergamo, 1902).
 (T. As.)