Open main menu

PORT RICHMOND, a part of the borough of Richmond in the city of New York, U.S.A., on the N. shore of Staten Island and on the Kill van Kull Channel. Before 1898 it was a separate village of Richmond county, New York, containing 6290 inhabitants in 1890. It is served by the Staten Island Rapid Transit railway, and by a ferry to Bergen Point, New Jersey, and has steam and electric railway connexions with the municipal ferry at St George, which furnishes easy access to the business districts on Manhattan Island. Among its places of historic interest are the Dutch Reformed Church, which is the direct successor of the church established on Staten Island in 1664 or 1665 by Waldenses and Huguenots; and the Danner Hotel, built soon after the War of Independence on the site of a temporary fort that had been erected by British troops, and used as a private dwelling until 1820. In this house Aaron Burr spent the last years of his life, dying there on the 14th of September 1836. Among the industrial establishments are a shipyard, dry dock and manufactories of flour, lumber, lead paint and builders' supplies. On the first of January 1898, when the act creating Greater New York came into effect, the village became a part of the third ward of Richmond borough.