RIVERSIDE, a city of southern California, U.S.A., and the county-seat of Riverside county, situated on the Santa Ana river, in the San Bernardino valley. Pop. (1890) 4683; (1900) 7973 (1525 foreign-born); (1910) 15,212. It is served by the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fé, the Southern Pacific and the San Pedro, Los Angeles & Salt Lake railways. The city occupies a slope (about 800–1000 ft. above sea-level), rising toward the east is beautifully built and is a winter and health resort. In the Albert S. White Park there is a notable collection of cacti; and Huntington Park is high and rocky, is well planted with trees and has a finely shaded automobile drive. Magnolia Avenue, bordered with pepper-trees, is 10 m. long and 130 ft. wide; and Victoria Avenue is similarly parked and lined with semi-tropical trees. Riverside is the seat of an important (non-reservation) boarding-school for Indians, Sherman Institute (1903), which in 1908 had 699 student sf Riverside is devoted to the cultivation of oranges, lemons and other subtropical fruits, and has a large trade in these products. It is in the centre of the finest orange district of the state; near Huntington Park is the state citrus experiment station (1906), with an experimental orchard of 20 acres. The cultivation of navel oranges was first introduced from Brazil into the United States at Riverside in 1873; the two original trees, protected by an iron railing, were still standing in 1909. The domestic water supply is obtained from artesian wells. In 1870 the site of the present city, then called Jurupa Rancho, the name of the old Spanish grant, was purchased by the Southern California Colony Association. The settlement was chartered in 1883 as a city, with limits including about 56 sq. m. Riverside county was not organized until ten years later. From 1895 there were no saloons in the city.