1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Severiana, Via
SEVERIANA, VIA, an ancient highroad of Italy, running S.E. from Ostia to Terracina, a distance of 73 m. along the coast, and taking its name, no doubt, from the restoration of an already existing road by Septimius Severus, who was a great benefactor of Ostia. It ran along the shore at first, just behind the line of villas which fronted upon the sea, and are now half a mile inland, or even upon its edge (for an inscription records its being damaged by the waves). Farther S.E. it seems to have kept rather more distant from the shore, and it probably kept within the lagoons below the Circean promontory. As is natural in a sandy district where building materials are rare, remains of it are scanty.
See R. Lanciani in Monumenti dei Lincei, xiii. (1903), 185; xvi. (1906), 241; T. Ashby in Mélanges de l'École française de Rome (1905). 157 sqq. (T. As.)