1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Sherman
SHERMAN, a city and the county-seat of Grayson county, Texas, U.S.A., 64 m. by rail N. by E. of Dallas and 9 m. S. of Denison. Pop. (1890) 7335; (1900) 10,243, of whom 2131 were negroes; (1910 census) 12,412. Sherman is served by the St Louis & San Francisco (Frisco System), which has car shops here, the St Louis & South-Western, the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fé, the Missouri, Kansas & Texas, the Texas & Pacific, and the Houston & Texas Central railways, and by electric lines connecting with Denison and Dallas. In the city are Austin College (Presbyterian, 1850; removed from Austin to Sherman in 1876) for men, Carr-Burdette College (Christian, 1894) for girls, North Texas Female College and Conservatory (Methodist Episcopal, 1877) and Saint Joseph's Academy (Roman Catholic) for girls. Sherman is situated on a ridge 720 ft. above sea-level between the Red river and the Trinity river, near a fertile part of the Red River Valley, in which the principal industries are the growing of cotton, Indian corn, wheat, oats, potatoes and alfalfa, and stock raising. The city contains cotton gins and compresses, and has various manufactures; in 1905 the value of factory products was $2,841,066 (94.4% more than in 1900). The municipality owns and operates the waterworks and the electric lighting plant. Sherman was settled in 1848 and was chartered as a city in 1895.