UGLICH, a town of Russia, in the government of Yaroslavl, on the upper Volga, 63 m. W. by S. of the. city of Yaroslavl. Pop., 9698. Its historical remains are mostly associated with Prince Dmitri, son of Ivan the Terrible, who was believed to have been murdered (1591) here by Boris Godunov. The wooden house (built in 1481, restored in 1892) which the prince occupied, a church of St Demetrius, erected at the spot where he was killed, and a kiosk on the site of a convent where his mother was forcibly consecrated a nun, are the principal memorials of this incident. The cathedral was erected in the 13th century, but subsequently restored, and contains the grave of Prince Roman. The industries include paper-mills, flour-mills, distilleries, copper works, tand linen factories; and the samovars (tea-urns) and sausages made here are famous.
The local annals go as far back as the 9th century. Until the 14th century Uglich was a separate principality, which extended over eastern Tver. In 1329 the sons of Prince Roman the Saint renounced their independence in favour of Moscow, and fifty years later the Uglich princes sold their rights to the great prince of Moscow. The Tatars plundered the town in 1237, 1293 and 1408, and the Lithuanians did the same at a later date.