WORTHING, a municipal borough and seaside resort in the Lewes parliamentary division of Sussex, England, 61 m. S. by W. from London by the London, Brighton & South Coast railway. Pop. (1901) 20,015. It has a fine marine parade, and a promenade pier, and there is a long range of firm sands. A public park, 21 acres in extent, was opened in 1881. The principal buildings are several modern churches, the town hall (1834), municipal buildings, free library, literary institute, infirmary and convalescent homes. The mother parish of Worthing is Broadwater, the church of which, 1 m. north of Worthing, is a cruciform building, and a fine example of transitional Norman work. A Roman villa, evidence of the existence of pottery works, and a so-called mile-stone, have been discovered at Worthing. The town was incorporated in 1890, and is under a mayor, 8 aldermen and 24 councillors. Area, 1439 acres.