Agreement on a timetable for negotiations of a firm and lasting peace in Guatemala
This work is an orphan, as no other pages link to it. Please add links to this page from other pages or, alternatively, this page may be a candidate for deletion.
Links from other Wikimedia projects, such as Wikipedia, do not count.Candidates for linking to this page include Author pages and Portals.See Category:Unlinked for guidance on choosing pages. See Wikisource:Deletion policy for guidance on whether this page is a candidate for deletion.
Reiterating the decision stated in the Framework Agreement of 10 January 1994 (A/49/61-S/1994/53, annex), to negotiate on all the items included in the general agenda adopted in Mexico in April 1991,
Reaffirming their commitment to arrive at a firm and lasting peace agreement within the shortest possible time during 1994,
Reaffirming the role which must be played by the Assembly representing society at large in discussion of the substantive issues on the agenda,
The Government of Guatemala and the Unidad Revolucionaria Nacional Guatemalteca, hereafter referred to as "the Parties", hereby agree:
1. To establish the following timetable for discussion of outstanding items on the agenda for the negotiations as a guide for the continuation of their work:
May 1994. negotiations on the item: Resettlement of the population uprooted by the armed confrontation. Signing of agreement.
June 1994. negotiations on the item: Identity and rights of indigenous peoples. Signing of agreement.
July 1994. negotiations on the item: Socio-economic aspects and agrarian situation. Signing of agreement.
August 1994. negotiations on the item: Strengthening of civilian power and role of the army in a democratic society.
September 1994. negotiations on the items: Bases for the reintegration of Unidad Revolucionaria Nacional Guatemalteca in the political life of Guatemala and agreement on a definitive cease-fire. Signing of three preceding agreements.
October 1994. negotiations on the item: Constitutional reforms and electoral regime. Signing of agreement.
November 1994. negotiation on the item: Schedule for the implementation, enforcement and verification of the agreements. Signing of agreement.
December 1994. Signing of a firm and lasting peace agreement and start of demobilization.
2. Depending on requirements for ensuring the success of negotiations, the Parties may agree on adjustments to the present timetable.
3. The moderator, in consultation with the Parties, shall set the specific date of each of the negotiating rounds. Similarly, he shall set, in consultation with the Parties and the President of the Assembly representing society at large, the most appropriate dates for holding special sessions so that the Assembly’s recommendations and guidelines on substantive issues may reach the Parties in good time.
4. In accordance with the provisions of the Framework Agreement of 10 January 1994, the Parties shall take these recommendations and guidelines into consideration.
5. As basic documents for the negotiations on the substantive issues, the Parties agreed to use, in their original or updated form, the documents entitled "A just and democratic peace: content of the negotiation" published by Unidad Revolucionaria Nacional Guatemalteca in May 1992, and "Peace is not just the absence of war but the creation of all the conditions which enable man to live without anxiety or fear" published by the Government of Guatemala in June 1992. The Parties shall submit their proposals in good time so that the other Party can consider them and so that they can be discussed at the corresponding rounds.
6. The Parties reiterate the desirability of resorting to all measures that will be conducive to rapprochements and agreements between them, and agree to respond to the initiatives made by the moderator in this respect.
Done at Mexico, D.F., on 29 March 1994
|Héctor ROSADA GRANADOS||General Carlos Enrique PINEDA CARRANZA|
|Antonio F. ARENALES FORNO||General Julio Arnoldo BALCONI TURCIOS|
|Mario PERMUTH||General José Horacio SOTO SALAN|
Ernesto VITERI ECHEVERRIA
For the Unidad Revolucionaria Nacional Guatemalteca
|Commander Pablo MONSANTO||Commander Gaspar ILOM|
|Commander Rolando MORAN||Carlos GONZALES|
Political and Diplomatic Commission
|Luis Felipe BECKER GUZMAN||Francisco VILLAGRAN MUÑOZ|
|Miguel Angel SANDOVAL VASQUEZ||Mario Vinicio CASTAÑEDA PAZ |
For the United Nations
(Signed) Marrack GOULDING Under-Secretary-General
(Signed) Jean ARNAULT Moderator