Author:Arthur Hugh Clough
|←Author Index: Cl||Arthur Clough
|English poet, and the brother of Anne Jemima Clough. |
This author wrote articles for the Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology.
Articles written by this author are designated in the DGRBM by the initials "A.H. C."
- The Bothie of Toper-na-fuosich: A Long-vacation Pastoral (1848) (transcription project)
- Ambarvalia (1849), a joint publication with Thomas Burbidge (transcription project)
- Poems (1862) (external scan)
- The Poems And Prose Remains of Arthur Hugh Clough, With A Selection From His Letters And A Memoir; edited by his Wife (1869), in 2 vols.
The text of this work needs to be migrated to index:The Poems and Prose remains of Arthur Hugh Clough, volume 2 (1869).djvu.
If you would like to help, please see Help:Match and Split and Help:Proofread.
Notes: The following works are unsourced. The ordering and arrangement follows Volume 2 of the collected works of 1869 and need to be migrated to the associated index page
- Thoughts of Home
- An Evening Walk in Spring
- An Incident
- The Thread of Truth
- The Shady Lane
- The Higher Courage
- Written on a Bridge
- A River Pool
- In a Lecture Room
- Blank Misgivings of a Creature moving about in Worlds not realised
- Includes How often sit I
- A Song of Autumn
- τò καλóν
- Χρυσεα κλης επι γλωσσα
- The Silver Wedding
- The Music of the World and of the Soul
- Love, not Duty
- Love and Reason
- ‘O Θεòς μετα σου!
- Wirkung in der Ferne
- επι Λατμω
- A Protest
- Sic Itur
- Qua Cursum Ventus
- Wen Gott betrügt, ist wohl betrogen
Poems on Religious and Biblical Subjects.
- Fragments of the Mystery of the Fall
- The Song of Lamech
- Genesis XXIV
- Jacob’s Wives
- The New Sinai
- Qui Laborat, Orat
- υμνος αυμνος
- The Hidden Love
- Shadow and Light
- With Whom is no Variableness, Neither Shadow of Turning
- In Stratis Viarum
- Perché Pensa? Pensando s'Invecchia
- O thou of little Faith
- Through a Glass Darkly
- Ah! Yet Consider it Again!
- Noli Aemulari
- What went ye out for to see? also called Across the Sea Along the Shore
- The Shadow (a Fragment)
- Easter Day (Naples, 1849)
- Easter Day, II
Poems on Life and Duty
- Life is Struggle
- In the Great Metropolis
- The Latest Decalogue
- The Questioning Spirit
- Hope evermore and believe!
- Blessed are they that have not seen!
- Cold Comfort
- High and Low
- All Is Well
- παντα ρει· ουδεν μενει
- The Stream of Life
- In a London Square
The Bothie of Toper-na-fuosich: a Long-Vacation:Pastoral
Mari Magno or Tales on Board
- The Lawyer’s First Tale: Primitiæ or Third Cousins
- The Clergyman’s First Tale: Love is Fellow-service
- My Tale: A la banquette, or a Modern Pilgrimage
- The Mate’s Story
- The Clergyman’s Second Tale
- The Lawyer’s Second Tale: Christian
Essays in Classical Metres
- Come, Poet, come!
- The Dream Land
- In the Depths
- It Fortifies my Soul to Know
- Darkness (a Fragment)
- Two Moods
- Youth and Age
- Solvitur acris Hiems
- Thesis and Antithesis
- Even the Winds and the Sea obey
- Repose in Egypt
- To a Sleeping Child
- Translations from Goethe
- At Rome
- Last Words. Napoleon and Wellington
- Alteram Partem
- Say Not the Struggle Naught Availeth
Editor / TranslatorEdit
- Lives of the Noble Greeks and Romans (1859) by Plutarch and John Dryden
- Plutarch's essays and miscellanies (1909) in 5 volumes. A revision of Goodwin's edition (external scans (multiple parts): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
- Articles signed as [A. H. C.] in the Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology
- A great proportion of the Poems described as Miscellaneous have, like some included in previous divisions, been brought together from rough copies and unfinished MSS. Fragmentary and imperfect as they are, they yet are so characteristic of their writer, that they have been placed here along with some of the most complete of his works.
Works about CloughEdit
- "Clough, Arthur Hugh," in Alumni Oxonienses: the Members of the University of Oxford, 1715-1886, by Joseph Foster, London: Parker and Co. (1888–1892) in 4 vols.
- Arthur Hugh Clough; a monograph (1883), by Samuel Waddington
- "Clough, Arthur Hugh," in Dictionary of National Biography, London: Smith, Elder, & Co., (1885–1900) in 63 vols.
- "Clough, Arthur Hugh," in A Short Biographical Dictionary of English Literature, by John William Cousin, London: J. M. Dent & Sons (1910)
- "Clough, Arthur Hugh," in Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed., 1911)
- Written after reading a memoir of Clough, a poem by Bertram Dobell
- Arthur Hugh Clough (1920), by James Insley Osborne