- Anecdotes of the Late Samuel Johnson, LL.D. During the Last Twenty Years of His Life (1786)
- Letters to and from the late Samuel Johnson, LL.D. (1788)
- Observations and Reflections made in the course of a Journey through France, Italy, and Germany (1789), in 2 vols.
- British Synonymy; or, An Attempt at Regulating the Choice of Words in Familiar Conversation (1794)
- Retrospection: or a Review of the most striking and important Events, Characters, Situations, and their Consequences which the last eighteen hundred years have presented to the Views of Mankind (1801), in 2 vols.