Author:John Smith (1781-1855)
For authors with similar names, see Author:John Smith.
|←Author Index: Sm||John Smith
|British art dealer and inventor of the catalog raisonné|
- A catalogue raisonné of the works of the most eminent Dutch, Flemish, and French painters (1829-1837)
- Volume 1 (1829) : Gerard Dou, Pieter van Slingelant, Frans van Mieris the Elder, Willem van Mieris, Adriaen van Ostade, Isaac van Ostade, Philips Wouwerman
- Volume 2 (1830) : Peter Paul Rubens
- Volume 3 (1831) : Anthony van Dyck, David Teniers the Younger
- Volume 4 (1833) reprinted in 1908 : Jan Steen, Gerard ter Borch, Eglon van der Neer, Pieter de Hooch, Gonzales Coques, Gabriel Metsu, Caspar Netscher, Adriaen van der Werff, Nicolas Maes, Godfried Schalcken
- Volume 5 (1834) : Nicolaes Berchem, Paulus Potter, Adriaen van de Velde, Karel Dujardin, Albert Cuyp, Jan van der Heyden
- Volume 6 (1835) : Jacob van Ruysdael, Meindert Hobbema, Jan Both, Andries Both, Jan Wynants, Adam Pynacker, Jan Hackaert, Willem van de Velde, Ludolf Bakhuizen, Jan van Huysum, Rachel Ruysch
- Volume 7 (1836) : Rembrandt
- Volume 8 (1837) : Nicolas Poussin, Claude Lorrain, Jean-Baptiste Greuze
- Volume 9 - Supplement (1842) : Includes corrections to the preceding volumes and new additions
- A catalogue raisonné of the works of the most eminent Dutch, Flemish, and French painters : in which is included a short biographical notice of the artists, with a copious description of their principal pictures; a statement of the prices at which such pictures have been sold at public sales on the continent and in England; a reference to the galleries and private collections, in which a large portion are at present; and the names of the artists by whom they have been engraved; to which is added, a brief notice of the scholars & imitators of the great masters of the above schools, by "Smith, John, dealer in pictures"