- De humore acido à cibis orto, et Magnesia alba (1754), university dissertation
- (tr) Experiments upon Magnesia alba, Quicklime, and some other Alkaline Substances
- Essays and Observations (1756)
- Lectures on the Elements of Chemistry, delivered in the University of Edinburgh (1803)
- "On the supposed Effect of Boiling upon Water in disposing it to freeze more readily, ascertained by Experiment" in Philosophical Transactions, 65, p. 124
- An Analysis of the Waters of some Hot Springs in Iceland, Transactions of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, iii. 95
- Experiments on Magnesia and Quick Lime
Works about BlackEdit
- "Black, Joseph," in A biographical dictionary of eminent Scotsmen, (ed.) by Thomas Thomson, Glasgow: Blackie and Son (1857, 2nd edition) in 9 vols.
- "Black, Joseph," in Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900, London: Smith, Elder, & Co. (1885–1900) in 63 vols.
Some or all works by this author were published before January 1, 1928, and are in the public domain worldwide because the author died at least 100 years ago. Translations or editions published later may be copyrighted. Posthumous works may be copyrighted based on how long they have been published in certain countries and areas.