1Who will give water to my head, and to my eyes a well of tears, so I can weep day and night for the slain men of the daughter of my people? 2Who will give me in the wilderness a lodging-place of travellers, so I can forsake my people and go away from them? For they are all adulterers, and a band of lawbreakers. 3And they bend out their tongue like a bow for lying and not truth. They are strengthened in earth, for they went out from bad to worse, and they didn't know me, says the Lord.
23Thus says Yahweh:
- "Let not the wise man
- glory in his wisdom;
- let not the mighty man
- glory in his might;
- let not the rich man
- glory in his riches.
- 24Now if he does, in this let him who glories glory
- that he understands and knows me.
- For I am Yahweh providing kindness,
- judgement and righteousness in the land,
- for in these I delight,"
- declares Yahweh.
4Thus says Yahweh, the God of Israel:
- I am turning back the instruments of war
- "bad to worse"; literally "evil to evil"; or "bad to bad"