Biography and family record of Lorenzo Snow/Title Page
"I know him, that he will command his children after him, and
they shall keep the word of the Lord, to do justice and judgment."
"If you wish to go where God is, you must be like God—
possessing the principles which God possesses." — Joseph Smith.
DESERET NEWS COMPANY, PRINTERS.
SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH,
- The text of this dedication was as follows:
With sentiments of respect
this book is presented to
by the Author,
E. R. Snow Smith
Salt Lake City,
Sept. 10th 1884.
- Lorenzo Snow became an apostle in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on February 12, 1849, at age 34. Over a decade after this book was published, Lorenzo Snow became the fifth president of the Church on September 13, 1898.
- Eliza R. Snow was one of Joseph Smith's wives. She married Joseph Smith on June 29, 1842. After Joseph Smith's death, she was married to Brigham Young in June 1844. She chose to use Joseph's name for the publication of this work.
- Genesis 18:19. This verse was spoken by the Lord about Abraham. Eliza appears to be likening her brother Lorenzo to Abraham and perhaps praising his education of his children.
- From a discourse given by Joseph Smith on Apr. 10, 1842, in Nauvoo, Illinois; reported by Wilford Woodruff. Printed in Smith, Joseph Fielding. Compiler. Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith. 1976. Page 216. Also reprinted in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Teachings of the Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith. 2007.