Catholic Encyclopedia (1913)/Fussola
A titular see in Numidia. It was a fortified town, inhabited for the most part by Donatists and situated forty miles from Hippo. St Augustine appointed as its first Catholic bishop, about 416, a young man named Antonius, who afterwards caused him much anxiety (Ceillier, "Histoire générale des auteurs sacrés et ecclésiastiques", Paris, 1861, Vlll, 11 sqq.). A certain Melior is known to have been bishop in 484 (Gams,( 465, col. 3), and the see still existed in the seventh century (Byzantische Zeitschrift, II, 26). The fortress of Fossala completed the defences of Hippo.